Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start off it's a very broad statement and i can't find it on here. I'm looking to buy a cold air intake and all i can find is short ram ones. I want a real cold air but the ones i found arn't street legal in which means i can't pass emissions without proper C.A.R.B. legal paperwork. If you guys some how found a real street legal cold air that can pass emissions and or own one help would be appreciated. It was hard enough with my new exhaust system to pass emissions. If you were wondering I have a 92 S13. Thanks. And if this is the wrong section I'm sorry.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Look around some more Full cold air can be had. After all, I have it. But as far as emissions goes it takes 20 minutes at most to change out air intakes. Just take it in with the stock intake then, put the cold air on afterward. I would do the same for exhaust

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What cold air do you use and or recommend? I have just looked forever and heard bs stories from sales people just cause they want business.

·
240-kid
47,143 Posts
The only CARB Legal Intake for the 240 to my under standing is the AEM Kit, and unless you can color match a CA Ext. it ain't happening

Just take off your intake silencer and put a nice flowing pan filter and you'll be just fine...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah 240-kid I doubt I'll be able to match a polished blue CA ext. cause I'm going for a blue theme type engine compartment...will the performance be the same with the silencer off and a good flowing pan filter as if i had a CAI not a short ram?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cause i did see a HKS intake filter and if I was to get that just take off the intake silencer and I should be in good shape? But damn I do want blue piping, is that still possible?

·
240-kid
47,143 Posts
Well when you take off the silencer, the bottom of the Air Filter box has a hole right at the bottom which ends up taking air from outside of the Engine compartment.

Truthfully I really dont think you'll see gains by just putting on an Cone Filter ontop of the MAF, it would probably be the same as having the Filter box and a good flowing Pan filter...

Just take off the intake silencer and use this: http://www.koolblue.com/catalog_i7663576.html
You'll be fine and wont have to worry about emissions

There's alot of stuff you can do to gain power and still be emissions legal, PM me if you want...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
But as far as emissions goes it takes 20 minutes at most to change out air intakes. Just take it in with the stock intake then, put the cold air on afterward.
+1

How often do they test emmisions? because this sounds like the best option if you want the real deal.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Drop in filter FTW. I've tried the stock intake with the silencer box removed (sucked air from the inner fender), cone filter on stock intake pipe, short ram (which actually felt like it lost power) and they are all pretty much the same.
The only thing that changed was how the intake sounded really. I'd just get a decent drop in and remove the intake silencer elbow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your responses, it may be a dumb question but I looked everywhere to find how to remove the intake silencer...all I know is that its under the air filter box from what I've read.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the weapon-r short ram intake is c.a.r.b. legal, & i would just create a box from aluminum around the filter & add a piece of tubing so that the inlet of the pipe would be right where those ducts are on the chuki front bumper. but like shadoe said, intakes are easy enough to swap out, why worry about it? just get the one you want & keep your stock. even if you get pulled over, all the cop is going to do is send you to a smog referee.

·
240-kid
47,143 Posts
If you jack the car up, remove the undercover and the driver fender well cover it's pretty self explanatory how the silencer comes out...

·
Registered
72 Posts
another solution is getting a MAF adaptor and running like an apexi cone filter or something. Thats what i did just cause i got the SOHC and my options are even slimmer

*EDIT- sorry just read that 240 kid already mentioned this, theres a cone filter shootout with an s14 online somewheres. The APEXI one deffinetly has huge advantages over many run of the mill cone filter. I felt a good little pull out of it

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
not the worst revival ever at least its useful

·
Registered
51 Posts
glad this was brought up cause i got my 240 with a "ghetto" cold air on it some tubing with hose clamps and a K&N cone filter theres no enclosure box or anything it kinda just sits there i was wondering what i could do with it because like blackphantom i cant seem to find a full cold air either for my NA Sr20De i live in FL theres no emissions i have idle issues i think because of this setup ill post a pic in a little to give u guys a better idea

1 - 20 of 29 Posts