Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. I searched here, yahoo, and other forums.. still nothing is clear.... What EXACTLY is the difference between cold air and ram air intakes? AND why is one considered what it is?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
OMG!!!!!!!!! it is completely self explanitory.

Not trying to flame just saying its like asking what kind of meat is on a ham sandwhich.

Cold air intake: usually seperate from the engine bay thus the air flowing into the intake is cold (or colder than the engine bay air).

Ram air by definition is any air intake system which uses the air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the air pressure inside the intake manifold

Essentially both are one in the same depending on filter placement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew the cold air sucked in cold air and ram air was forced air (I'm generally smart about cars.. I swear).... but, as far as the intakes themselves go... I don't know the difference... cuz, I've seen "cold air intakes" go in the same place as "ram air intakes"... maybe people just name it wrong.. I don't know... but, which works better on a 240SX (SR20DET)?

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
ok, ram air intakes don't force air, unless they're setup to directly take in air from the front of the car. s13/s14 "ram air" intakes aren't "ram air" by any means.
injen's CAI for the s13/s14 is a prime example of a CAI that is technically a ram air intake since the filter sits right in front of the front tire on the driver side.
however, it's also DUMB. why make a CAI 2-3ft longer than the original intake?

if you want a good intake, you'll have to go custom for it to work better than stock, and not be ridiculously long (not good for high rpm).

relocate your battery to the trunk.
cut a 3-4" hole in your battery tray.
have a muffler shop bend a pipe to run from the throttle body to the hole in the battery tray.
relocate the MAF to the end of the pipe.
throw a cone filter on it.

BAM! custom CAI that's only 1.5 - 2ft long and it improves throttle response and WORKS.
now you just have to shield the filter from hydro-lock. aluminum sheet metal is your friend.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
RbKouki said:
OMG!!!!!!!!! it is completely self explanitory.

Not trying to flame just saying its like asking what kind of meat is on a ham sandwhich.
well i am...

your a stupid fuck and the obivous product of inbreeding. go ask your brother/father how it works on his mustang II.

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
hahaha
unwed, that's so wrong.
i vote we just make me a mod.
that way i can delete threads left and right when i see the same reoccuring BS.

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
ian, empty your pm box.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
raen419 a mod... that's actually one of the smartest posts i've heard in a good while

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
lol, david, you're halucinating, go back to bed.
lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts