Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to sell my car so I could buy a 240sx then I would do an engine swap. I was wondering if there was a difference between the Coupe and Hatchback when you do engine swaps and I'm most likely to buy a 91-93 model.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the key to information on the forums is the SEARCH TOOL. if you look through the provided factory service manuals (fsm) you will see that there is not really a difference as far as wiring harness & ecu locations go. but you need to search if you want more info. besides if you get a 91-93 you will have a dohc motor, why would you want to go through the hassle of ripping out & replacing everything when you could just build up the KA?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the search and i didnt find anything
but if you kno a post that talks about this then send me the link

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
yes the ka would have alot of miles on it, but if you plan on making power, you are going to have to do a rebuild with performance parts anyway. i love my ka, i dont see any reason to swap in a sr just to gain some more rpm. ka's are capable motors and are used in scca race cars and proven to be worthy competetors. also if you have an sr, it is not as easy to source parts as a ka because that motor was never produced here (in a fr chassis anyway). i would just build the ka & get a good turbo kit & make good power and awesome torque, but thats just me. & the link you were asking about, for some reason the fsm for 91-93's is not working right now, so here is the link to nico's. i hate that site, but it is good for some things.
Index of /FSM/240sx/91-94

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Hatch ^^^^ Coupe^^^^

and Allntrlundrgrnd in the middle taking a picture
good shit man, thats funny. & imo coupes are way more sexy than hatch's. but the hatch's are way more versatile as far as moving parts & wheels around because a gutted hatch is just as good as a mini p-up. but there is just something about the squared off sexiness of a coupe rear that made me get mine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinkin gettin one of the RBs or a 2JZ.
I ment like the difference like with the engine mounts if it was harder to swap in the coupe or the hatch.

·
GnarKiller
5,113 Posts
The front subframe is the exact same as far as mounts go. If you go 2J there are alot more complications to think about (ie shifter extention, ehxaust route, tranny crossmember, etc). I thought about going 2J for the longest time, but I'm leaning more toward VQ now. 50/50 wd plus aluminum heads/block.

Hmm which is heavier 3.0L of oragne juice or 2.6L?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
those are all great options, just not the route i want to go. 2jz's are great for drag cars, but why would you want to waste such a great handling chassis by making it a straight line car? the vq on the other hand, now there is a bad ass swap. ive seen a couple of clean installs, & that sound is just awesome. but ill go crazy w/swaps with my 240z, SBC w/gt series TT, pushing over 500, now that sounds like a fun drag car to me. short wheel base = a hand full, but thats half the fun!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Coupe is about 50 pounds lighter IIRC. Don't waste your time on a swap, KA's are the shit! I have hat 2 hatchbacks and 1 coupe. They are mechainically identical, the only difference is the shape of the rear end (one has a hatch, the other has a trunk).

Coupe:
slightly stiffer chassis, better for handling
Weighs less
Somewhat better for a stereo (you can put 6x9 in the rear deck)
BUT the trunk can rattle if you have a large subwoofer.
Lack of cargo area
Interior cools down much quicker and more effectively with windows down and no AC during the summer

Hatch:
You can fit whatever you want in the rear, I've moves pairs of fenders (with 2 12 inch boxed subwoofers in the back), a front bumper, 4 19" wheels, a 20" bicycle, it fits whatever you want.
Slightly less stiff (but still handles great)
Better weight distribution (more weight over rear tires)
Better for large subwoofer enclosures due to the space and open hatch area
Stays hot as hell in the summer even with both windows down at 70 MPH.

Depends on what you want to do. The hatch is a VERY versatile DD and comes in handy when moving. The coupe is also a great DD but has slightly less cargo volume but slightly better handling. In all honesty, I'd pick the car that was in the best shape possible and not care with regards to the hatch vs coupe. The coupe is more rare, but the hatch is a tiny bit more useful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive had 2 hatchies and this is my first coupe. I love the hatchie for its spacious rear but i recently got addicted to the silvia front end so tbh either or they are both the shit and i am recently saving for a hatch as well. They both carry same engine and i love the ka and prefer it instead of sr but everyone has their opinions , but by all means is all about what you see yiurself more comfertably driving depending on what you inted to use your s13 for or what makes you happy. Either or they are both amazingly satisfying to what i have used them for

1 - 20 of 20 Posts