Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, upon a tad of overheating, I turn my car off and coolant starts gushing from what looked like where my engine and tranny meet. As soon as I took the cap off the radiator, it slowed, then stopped. My guess is it built up too much pressure. So I filled her back up, and she was fine... Drove about a week and then noticed that when I shut her off, she drips some coolant again. Well, yesterday, I replaced my thermostat, figuring maybe it was seizing up some and building up pressure. Now I notice it leaks when I hit the gas?! I'm thinking maybe a freeze plug on the engine block, My dad says he's not sure if it would have one or not, being a 4 cyl. and being an 89. Can anyone clear this up maybe? Any suggestions? I know it could be a heater hose leaking or a fitting for it. I'm open to suggestions that way once I get out there I can take a look at it all and try to see which needs the replacing. Its pouring rain at the moment and I have no garage to pull it in, so today I can't really get a good look to try to figure it out myself.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Heater hoses?

Yes, the engine has freeze plugs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By heater hoses, meaning the one that runs off the water pump and around the back of the engine to the heater core, and then back to the pump.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I mean the ones that go between the engine and the firewall, coming and going.. which are back near the Bell housing, where you are seeing the leak...

Also the fittings that the hoses attach too, like the one that comes out of the engine block, on the passenger's side, near the #4 cylinder

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's the ones I thought. I haven't had a chance to really look at them. As I don't have a jack and I can't really see them that well from the top of the engine bay. My car sits a little too low to fit under as well. I'm skinny as all get out, but its hard to fit in 3'' worth of space lol. I don't think its the heater core itself thank God, cause she still pours out plenty of heat. I had a problem with my alternator not charging up and actually giving any juice unless I put it all the way through first or second. Then my lights would get bright again and the stereo would actually stay on instead of coming on and off. But now it doesn't even matter, its sputtering regardless of it. I'm thinking it might've killed my head gasket now too. The lights and stereo work fine after doing it, but its still jerking about. Any ideas for that? I took it to get the alternator tested, they said it was putting out power and it should be charging, but I'm not sure. The guy didn't really seem to know what he was talking about because he said check my emissions to see if that's what it was causing the sputter. But that doesn't explain the lights dim, and the stereo not staying on. Maybe a bad ground somewhere or it grounding out somewhere else?

·
Registered
423 Posts
leakdown test to test for head gasket, or milky oil, oil in coolant or look at the spark plugs. Smell like coolant? one look different from the others a little bit browner or whiter?

Voltage issue, most likely a ground

good luck
-Jason

·
Registered
148 Posts
the first thing i would checked would be one of the heater hoses. and about the freeze plugs, i would thing you would lose all your coolant very quickly if you where missing a freeze plug.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, no oil in coolant, no water in oil. I think the jump was from my fuel pump, I'm ready to throw it out and put a walbro in. And magically, since it got a bit warmer, my coolant isn't leaking, but I can smell it in my exhaust. I think a demonic evil unicorn is hopping around inside my engine putting holes in certain areas, then fixing them before moving on to somewhere else in my motor.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if you smell in your exhaust...it means it is in your combustion chamber. so, how is it getting there? I doubt you are dumping it in your gas tank, i have heard of water injection, but i think that is a bit of overkill.

Anyways, I have seen small pin hole leaks in cylinders, gaskets and blocks that can leak just a little bit at a time, not enough to show up in the oil, or vice versa. I would pull your plugs and give them a good sniff and inspection.

I have one of these kits, never used it. I dont know if there are cheaper ones out there. Could be an option for testing.

GDCT16, Tester, Combustion Leak

You could do a leak down test, also. Similair to a compression test, but you pressuriize the cylinder with few psi and let it sit. You check it after 15-20 minutes and see if it has lost pressure. But this can also show pressure loss through valves or piston blow-by. So it would not tell you for sure if you have a blown head gasket/cracked head/block.

I dunno man, just throwing stuff out there.

coolant isnt leaking out the water pump weep hole and running back on the motor/exhaust manifold is it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already know my head sucks ass. Two of the exhaust rocker arm screws, well, the socket into which they screw in my head is entirely stripped. Locktite'd them down and they are holding for now. I plan on getting a new head soon anyways. On top of the stripage, I know my valve stem seals are completely shot. So who all knows what's wrong with it? I'm still in the process of looking for a sbc 400 bored 60 over to drop down in her :) then I'm going to buy another 240 (one with an actual good engine, not a rigged up piece like this one) and keep the KA and beef it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts