Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my belts are going crazy when I start my car. It started off small but its terrible now. What should the adjusting bolts be torqued down to and any other suggestions?

·
Registered
197 Posts
tension specs are in the downloadable FSM...which says at 98Nm or 22 lbs pressure, deflection should be between .25-.28 inches or so. Thats pushing on the belt. That sounds pretty hard to get right.

What I would do if I were you is just get some belt dressing and spray it on the belts. That should take care of your noise. Just make sure the belts aren't too tight or the will wear faster and put more stress on the bearings the gears attach to.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Does it stop when you press the clutch? Or is it a constant squealing? It could be the throwout bearing, if its the first thing. I'm not exactly sure on torque specs though. Try tightening it first, if that doesnt work, you can start looking at bearings and pulleys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I am pretty sure its the belt because when I do tighten it it stops for the most part but this morning was the second time I have broke the tensioning bolt. I went out to torque it to 22lbs and It broke. Lucky for me the last time I went to the junk yard I picked up an extra one so I put that one in and headed towards 22lbs, made it to about 18 and this bolt is about to break now too... I suck. But my squealing is to a minimal and it is only when I first start my car, not a constant thing. But my throwout bearing is getting change dout also this week along with my clutch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
you should try using belt dressing, or replacing the belt itself.. if they have been on the car a while they are probably a little brittle and therefore slip with the sudden force on start-up. they should have been replaced at the 60K tune-up and then again at 100K.. not sure how many miles are on your car.. but probably close if not over that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This May Be A Dumb Question But Did You Loosen The Nut On The Tensioner Pulley Before Tightening The Tensioner Up Because If You Didnt This Would Be A Good Reason Why You Are Breaking The Bolts, 22 Ft Lbs Isnt Near Enough To Break A Bolt Most Torque Wrenches Lowest Setting Is Like 22 Lbs. Im Nottrying Tobe Smart Or Mean, But It Sounds Like You Arent Doing Something Right. Youshould Be Able Toturn The Bolt With Your Finger Until You Have To Tighten With A Rachet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts