Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed my fairly new JDM Cusco Zero-2's on the s14. I was dumb and forgot to tighten all the camber plate nuts that surround the adjust knob, not the shock tower nuts. Anyways, I put the coilovers on and when I'm driving I start to hear squeaking as I drive over bumps. Go back home and realized the nuts weren't tightened down all the way. So I tight the driver side rear coilover all the way down. Problem is the 2 front coilovers and the rear passenger coilover, the nut won't tighten all the way down because it starts to move the whole shaft & spring when I tighten. I even tried my airgun, but to no avail. I ended up taking the coilovers out and greasing them up just to make sure, but nope the squeek is still there but not on the driver side rear coilover (the one nut thats tightened down). Do you guys think this could be the problem to the squeaking noise? I may have to go to my friends shop who has a bigger compression and gun to see if I can tight all 3 nuts down TIGHT. Sorry for the long post but the sound is killing me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
turn up the psi in ur gun to lyk 110-120 and blast that sucker on. btw, dont put grease on any rubber parts, itll make it swell up and crack/harden.

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
have someone hold the coilover's shock body while you tighten the nuts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the psi up to 120 on my POS taiwanese made compressor ( leaks like a mofo) and it kept turning the whole assembly while tightening. I'm just going to have to have someone hold the coilover while I tighten. You guys think that will fix the squeaking problem?

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
hopefully.
some coilovers are just noisy though.
cusco's don't come to mind when i think of noisy coilovers though...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I bought these cuscos almost brand new from japan. The dealer said it had roughly 500 miles on them. We actually took it apart and tested the shocks to see if they were in good condition and yea they were. So I hope these expensive coilovers aren't "noisy". Do you guys think driving like this would hurt the coilovers at all?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
forgot to tell you guys, I didnt install the factory gasket that goes between the top of the strut and the strut tower (chassis). Do you think not having that is causing the squeak? Or are you supposed to install that for aftermarket coilovers?

·
Registered
384 Posts
just take it to some shop and ask them to gun them down for u. if they're nice theyll probably do it for free. if not....$10? either way u cant go wrong. if it still squeeks after that, then post more info and we can help diagnose it better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will do, i just got my new kumho asx tires and will be mounting,balancing those. Same time I will tell them to gun down the bolts for me. Ill let you guys know the situation thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts