Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok need some more help guys. 1991 coupe 240sx with hud electronic dash. my dash lights cut in and out while driving! only in the cluster though, all other lights work fine. get behind the cluster and all the wires are there, look connected correctly with no obvious corrosion or wear. i took the clister out still connected to the wires and it worked fine. played with all the wire, tried smacking it a bit, anything to make it cut out, but it stayed on. put it back in the dash and bolted it down, started cutting in and out again. all power to the cluster seems to be lost, but when a certain point of the dash is smacked it turns back on? the colder it is the more likely it is to start shutting on and off. the clock still works, but lights, speedometer, and cruise control all stop working. any ideas!? help!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Loose ground?
The Infamous Failed Cap?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
failed cap? not sure what that is... all i know is that there seems to be an issue with pressure on the cluster when its fully installed. when the cluster is loose it works fine, as soon as it is screwed in tightly and pressure is on the rear wires it starts to screw up.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
look for a broke/pinched wire...

or

don't screw it in so tight and see if that works

The failed cap problem is common on the HUD clusters

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i dont screw it in all the way, the panel infront of the cluster pushes it in the rest of the way... and yeah no pinched wires, i spent a few hours looking in there and can not find any issues.. ill look up on that failed cap thing though and see where it gets me

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
it sounds to me like you have a broke wire in that harness on one of the connectors.., or a corroded pin...

it will usually be something little, stupid, and VERY annoying.

check the FSM schematic and check the wires the power the cluster lights, or interact with the light dimmer switch...

Hang in there man, I'll help you beat this into submission...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
OK...

In The FSM, page EL-42

Your Main Ground comes in on a Black wire, Pin 5 on the connector (follow it from the "Body Ground" to the back of the Head-Up Display Control Unit)

Check that wire and associated connector pins.

Page EL-43 On the back of the cluster:

Connector 14, Pin 8 is the main Cluster Ground

Check that. It also ties into the Head-Up Display Control Unit ground mentioned above.

Question:

When you install the cluster and it dies, does the HUD still work?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no hud shuts down as well as everything else. what i have discovered is that all the issues are associated with one of the harnesses. playing around behind it i realized that when the larger black harness on the hud control unit is unplugged, all the issues happen. tried focusing on that section of wires but no luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts