Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just got a 5 spd done in my s14 and the speedo works but is just way out of wack. i'll be doing maybe 5 mph and it says i'm doing 30ish and when doing 60ish says i'm doing 120. it's the ka that came with the car but has a sohc 5 spd on it. if you have any ideas on how to get my speedo to work properly i would really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
you've got an s13 speed sensor probably, get an s14 one and you should be good to go

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll try that but if anyone else has anymore ideas it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also forgot to add that i am still runnning the auto ecu

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
that shouldn't matter, you will probably just get a check engine light, but should run fine regardless

·
Registered
132 Posts
Siizzzoooo said:
you've got an s13 speed sensor probably, get an s14 one and you should be good to go
This man speaks the truth :)
I ended up getting a tranny w/o the S14 speed sensor.. I had to pay Nissan 175CDN + tax for a new one :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
well the sohc tranny is your problem. As for the speed sensor, im pretty sure that the dohc s14 speed sensor dosent fit into the sohc tranny but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you want, take out the speed sensor out of your Auto tranny.. that one will work w/o problems with your ECU.. however you will have to trim it so you can physically plug it in. You will have to fabricate some soft of seal to put around the sensor so the tranny fluid doesn't leak.

Or, like I mentioned before, you can just buy the proper S14 5spd. sensor and plug it in. That's what I had to resort to since tranny fluid was leaking through when I used my auto speed sensor.
The gear head that goes on top of the Speed sensor is the same as your automatic one. So don't buy that from nissan. You don't need it (it's like 20 bucks or so).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the help guys guess i'll try to snag up a 5 spd speed sensor and see if it works, i was also told i need to get the complete wiring harness for the tranny all the way up to the battery. is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
nope.. you don't need the harness. I thought that as well, but it turns out that all the plugs behind the fuse box are different than the 5spd. lower harness and therefore they don't match up.

So all I did was wire up the reverse switch on the tranny to one of the plugs using the automatic tranny harness that I pulled out. Also, you need to loop the top plug behind the fuse box so you can start the car.

Just follow this guide here: http://www.ka24development.com/cwilfert/S14_tranny_swap_electrical.html
My car starts up and the ECU doesn't throw any codes. And all I did was follow this guide.
Btw, you don't need the neutral and 5th gear switches wired up to the ECU.

·
Registered
397 Posts
for looping the reverse switch, you can just crimp two connectors to a wire or if you wanna get fancy, take the plug that used to plug in there and rewire so that it loops back around and the two connectors are thus connected and you can even make a long loop and keep it looking like it is still fed into the lower engine harness. makes it look real clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts