Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone in here used one before?
i havent broken my transmission yet but i wanted to know at what point does the tranny break at? how much HP/TQ?

·
Registered
277 Posts
supposedly 400-500 ish is the rumor although ive seen several cars to beat that figure. also which tranny are you referring to.

i think PPG makes a dog box for fairly cheap like 3500 or so

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
it deends on abuse a drag cars tranny will not hold the amount of power a road race car will because there is no dumping of the clutch, smoother enagagements less sudden shock on the tranny. that way itll hold more.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sr20goofus said:
it deends on abuse a drag cars tranny will not hold the amount of power a road race car will because there is no dumping of the clutch, smoother enagagements less sudden shock on the tranny. that way itll hold more.
i understand that part of it but i was more looking for someone with first hand experience. i am looking to get the PPG kit. I may start a group buy if there is enough interest but i wanted to see if there was a need for it from some of the members.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
itll deff be difficult to do a group buy fomr someting like a dogbox for $3500, in general most people on here are cheap and just continue to truin stock trannies rather then upgrade. Another possibility is the Mazworx 300zx tranny adaptor kit sold on www.freshalloy.com, they made a kit to use the 300zx tranny all hardware included driveshaft and everything, you just get your own trany and it shoudl hold 600+hp easily.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
HP isn't what kills the trans it's the torque. The KA/SR/RB20 trans will hold roughly 350-400LB-Tq before breaking chit... Depending on how hard you are on the trans will dictate the reliability of it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
we know this DLS, which is why i was talking about shocking the tranny, sudden applied torque. But we are talking in term of HP cause usually with high HP comes high torque with the SR's, once is just a more simple language to deal with in terms of poweroutput and rotational force. But we wont get into all that now, nor ever.

Thanks for the input tho, others reading this might not know of it. EVO1 let me knof if that Mazworks thing is up your ally, seems like it would be worth the effort to go that rout rather then a custom dogbox for 3500...ouch.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
See what you are saying really doesn't apply though. This is not the SR section so HP to Torque ratio isn't corresponding. Sr's don't make a lot of torque compared to a KA-T for instance. This is why you should refer to torque instead of HP. You act like referring to torque is out of the question. If you want to discuss something technical on the forums it should at least be in the correct terms.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
anyways...dogboxes huh?

i still think the most cost effective way is the 300zx tranny, holds alot of torque, and replacement parts are cheap rather then if something goes wrong with the PPG, get ready to empty the wallet again.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
sr20goofus said:
anyways...dogboxes huh?

i still think the most cost effective way is the 300zx tranny, holds alot of torque, and replacement parts are cheap rather then if something goes wrong with the PPG, get ready to empty the wallet again.
Yeah, but that adapter is for the SR only still...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
true...as far as i know gtfab crew...EVO1 is lookiing for an SR applicable setup. Spending roughly $1500 on a 300zx setup is deff worth the money whe you compare it to a PPG $3500 setup. OS Giken sells output shafts for the SR/KA trannies, has anyone on these boards ever thought of having gears cryo treated? I havnt searched it before, but i dont ever recall seeing it brought up either.

·
Registered
277 Posts
supposedly from something i remember reading the os giken gears and shafts setup was slightly smaller then oem 300zx gears and shafts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts