Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is possible ... what i dont know is how hard it is .... what exactaly is needed

my idea is that the blocks are the same ..... (i dont know if this is true )
and i would use the DOHC head front cover and timing chains and all that good stuff ..... basicly converting my sohc in to a dual ....

dose any 1 know if it all just bolt on or if somthing needs to be modified ....

A pic of a SOHC motor with the front cover off would be very helpful

what i think i need

1 DOHC head Everything in it
2 both DOHC timing chains
3 DOHC upper chain sprocket
4 DOHC front cover
5 DOHC head gasket
6 DOHC wiring harness and ECU
6 DOHC power steering lines
7 DOHC tentioner adn that guide along the sides of the chain

THANK YOU in advance for any help

·
SLO-S13
4,454 Posts
You will need to customize the upper timing chain cover a bit as some of the holes don't line up is what I've come to understand. I've never done the swap just have done a good bit of research on it. Will you be using the SOHC pistons? Do know that this is going to yield you a compression ratio of about 11.3:1 or so.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
theres no point. you can get a DE block for less than $100.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dopeassjackson said:
theres no point. you can get a DE block for less than $100.

yes i know ..... as a matter of fact i have 2 DE blocks .... but u cant just throw parts in a block and expect them to work very percise measurments need to be taken. i dont have those tools ....i.e. fuck plastigauge

and i dont get y ppl always say ...its not worth it ...what about the 11:1 CR all using nissan parts .... now thats worth it to me ....

ANY 1 ELSE have any info

·
SLO-S13
4,454 Posts
Hmm what else do you need to know? All of the coolant passeges line up so you're good there, the only thing you'll need to worry about (as far as I've heard) is that upper timing chain cover, which if you get a little ingenuitive you should be good to go.

·
Registered
512 Posts
ehh from what I heard, you can just take SOHC pistions and place them in the DOHC block and slapp the dual head on and finish putting everything back together an dyour set. No drilling, no rigging just straightforward. at least. that is what I 'heard' that information coudl be wrong.

·
SLO-S13
4,454 Posts
I know one of the mods on here was thinking of doing the setup... He had PMed me about it, but I can't remember who it was...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
you might have to cut reliefs in the pistons if your using the dohc head

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
you might have to cut reliefs in the pistons if your using the dohc head
werd..there are definitely valve to piston clearance issues from what i've read.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
why not go the easier route and just change the pistons on a ka24de long block to sohc pistons? its essentially the same thing

·
Registered
276 Posts
i've heard that there end up being some issues with using the dual cam head on the SOHC block.. I'm not sure why there would be... maybe the heads are decked differently? I've always just used the SOHC pistons when I rebuilt the DOHC...
let us know how it turns out...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Just rebuild the damn DE long block...

If you can't use a $40 Micrometer set from Harbor Freight, you probably can't handle this engineering project

1 - 19 of 19 Posts