Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am getting a set of M & H DOTs i was woundering what RPM are you guys launching at. I was told to launch at 5k

Of course this is for the guys who are also using DR's

thanks

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
do you have an LSD? and what diameter/width wheel are you running, and what size radial, at what psi are you using.

on high performance all weather kumho supras (245'S) on my 18x9.5 with an open diff, i launch at 3. i get wheelspin, and the car crabwalks a bit until it gets traction, but it's my good launch speed.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
the launch really depends on the person driving. Are you looking to just dump the clutch diregarding the drivetrain (best times) or you gonna slip the clutch to save drivetrain life (lower times)? Ive heard of people just dumping the clutch at 6k rpm with drag radials at pulling off incredible times.

·
240-kid
47,146 Posts
Some specs would help us out alot :D

IDK I would say slip it from 6k :12dunno

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
well if you do lunch at higher rpms, and you did a good job of heating the tires, you will fuck somthing up. Theres only so much abuse a car can take,try to spin the tires a lil bit or slip the clutch a bit.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Depends on what your setup is. On my stock turbo'd setup I used to launch the car between 5500-6000 (stock turbo, act 2100 clutch, lsd) after I burned the shit outta the tires.

On my new setup I'm slipping the clutch out at 7000rpm and letting it rip. I'll probably be doing a 2 step 7000rpm launch next year :heyhey

·
240-kid
47,146 Posts
2 stage cool

A lil OT and thread jacking

What exactly is a 2stage? I know what 2 stages is but, yeah

:D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
basically there are gonna be on a set of stock SE wheels 215 65 15 M&H DOT

I am still on one wheel peel, upgraded turbo open down pipe

·
Registered
387 Posts
Gorilla Pimp said:

When I had my nitto drag radials (225/50/15) with the stock SR (and also no limited-slip) I would burn off my one tire as best as I could, line up..and drop the clutch between 4500-5000rpm.

240-kid said:
2 stage cool

A lil OT and thread jacking

What exactly is a 2stage? I know what 2 stages is but, yeah

:D
it's a second rev limiter set to a preset point in your RPM range. It can be used to bounce off the rev limitor at the line to build minimal amounts of boost..

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Gorilla Pimp said:

an lsd would make more of a differance htan drag slicks. mine shaved a full sec off the 1/4 cause i can launch at a higher rpm (make good use of that stage 4 clutch).

·
Registered
387 Posts
geist said:
an lsd would make more of a differance htan drag slicks. mine shaved a full sec off the 1/4 cause i can launch at a higher rpm (make good use of that stage 4 clutch).
He is absolutely right. The lsd was the best mod for the dollar on my car when I first got my sr. I couldn't believe the difference that it made, night and day. You might want to look around for a used vlsd instead of buying those tires right off the bat.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Shift_Fireplug said:
it's a second rev limiter set to a preset point in your RPM range. It can be used to bounce off the rev limitor at the line to build minimal amounts of boost..

actually 2 step retards the timing and richens the fuel mixture to create explosions in the exh manifold to spool the turbo. bouncing off the rev limiter isn't good for anything other than breaking rocker arms.

unless you're talking about something different, I've never heard of "2 stage".

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Shift_Fireplug said:
He is absolutely right. The lsd was the best mod for the dollar on my car when I first got my sr. I couldn't believe the difference that it made, night and day. You might want to look around for a used vlsd instead of buying those tires right off the bat.

or......... vlsd + drag slicks = :thumbsup

·
Registered
387 Posts
unless you're talking about something different, I've never heard of "2 stage".
Where did I say "2 stage"?..

minime said:
actually 2 step retards the timing and richens the fuel mixture to create explosions in the exh manifold to spool the turbo. bouncing off the rev limiter isn't good for anything other than breaking rocker arms.
Actually a 2 step rev limiter is just that...a rev limiter. And yes, bouncing off of the rev limiter will do more than "just break rocker arms". It will, as I said before, build minmal amounts of boost. Your assumption of a 2 step is incorrect. You're thinking of an anti-lag setup. Anti-lag is when the car builds a lot of boost by basically retarding the piss out of timing and adding a lot of fuel. They are two completely different things.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Fireplug said:
Where did I say "2 stage"?..
the guy you quoted said 2 stage and you never directly said 2 step in your second post so I wasn't sure.

Fireplug said:
Actually a 2 step rev limiter is just that...a rev limiter. And yes, bouncing off of the rev limiter will do more than "just break rocker arms". It will, as I said before, build minmal amounts of boost. Your assumption of a 2 step is incorrect. You're thinking of an anti-lag setup. Anti-lag is when the car builds a lot of boost by basically retarding the piss out of timing and adding a lot of fuel. They are two completely different things.

It's not a rev limiter so that you can bounce off of it, it's just a point that you can't rev past, if you make it to that point it holds there and doesn't let you go past it; it doesn't bounce off of it like a rev limiter. It's supposed to be used in conjunction with anti-lag on turbo applications. 2 step retards ignition and anti-lag retards timing.

read this if you don't believe me: http://www.turbomustangs.com/techarticles/aemsetup.doc

It talks about 2 step and anti-lag near the bottom.

·
Registered
387 Posts
minime said:
It's not a rev limiter so that you can bounce off of it, it's just a point that you can't rev past, if you make it to that point it holds there and doesn't let you go past it; it doesn't bounce off of it like a rev limiter.
Whatever floats your boat, but either way you cut it you're setting a limit, (or a point that you can't rev past) you're setting a rev limit. Are you saying that when someone launches off of a 2 step, it holds absolutely still and doesn't bounce?...

This is what you said earlier.
minime said:
and this is what you said now:
2 step retards ignition and anti-lag retards timing.
I'm well aware of this, that's the point I was making. The 2-step is nothing more than a rev limit (or ignition retard) whereas the anti-lag is what richens your fuel mixture and retards timing...That link you posted for me does nothing more than prove my point:

Bottom Line, which is what I said before:
2-Step = "rev limit" (or point you can't rev past) aka Ignition retard.
Antilag = Timing retard + Fuel richening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
minime said:
It's not a rev limiter so that you can bounce off of it, it's just a point that you can't rev past

Hmmmm, say lad, it's not a rev limiter!!! It's a point you can't rev past!!! BRILLIANT! Er........ Also known as a.... Um, rev limiter? :gaylaugh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts