Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've started looking into tuning options for the truck, and I'm finding very few options out there. It's a 2011 Frontier, with the VQ40DE motor. Yes, it's in the same family as all the Z's and their motors, but it's larger, so I don't think I can use a Z tuning option. Banks makes a gasoline vehicle "tuning" option, but it's more for improving MPG and it only provides a blanket tune. My problem is this: After reading through several forums, like most cars, when you add an intake and exhaust to the Froniter, the engine will run rich. What's diffenent on the Frontier, however, is how rich it goes. From what I've read, it is pretty extreme and it severely affects mileage and fouls the plugs pretty quickly.

With that being said, I'm looking for options to go with, after I add the intake and exhaust. The Banks option is too "blanket", Jet has an option but IMO Jet is all "smoke and mirrors." I don't want to go full standalone, so that takes Megasquirt out of the equation. There is a true tuning option available exclusively for the Frontier, but I have to drive to the shop, have them install it, and then have them dyno tune it. I know very few people on here are fans of the SAFC, but I'm seriously thinking about this as on option. I've used them before and never had a problem with them. I also like the flexibility in tuning the SAFC provides. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it to work with this truck.

I'm just looking for everyone's/anyone's opinion about this matter. I was also wondering if anyone has suggestions for any other tuning. Yes, I've read and read about options on Frontier forums, and that's why I've come to the SAFC. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
47,146 Posts
I say give the AFC a try and if you don't like then hit up that shop that you mentioned.
I'm not really a AFC fan myself but I figured I'd try it before I knock it and get personal exp. On my car.

·
Administrator
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, right now the AFC seems like the only way to go. I've read a lot more about the Hypertech and Banks programmers, but they aren't that great. The Hypertech only has 2 "blanket" power settings and the Banks only has 3. The AFC offers a lot more, I think.

Scott, just be careful with the AFC. I've seen several people blow up their motor with an AFC. They were idiots, and you are not, so I'm sure you'll be okay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.