Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me understand. Not really looking for hardcore performance gains, just interested in learning something.

Since I'm an economical SOB and driving the 240SX everyday has me constantly pondering whether a truck would haul more stuff and get better MPG, I'll use real-world everyday good gas mileage as the goal.

Correct me:

Emulator for KA24E, can it be done? Seems that the things are pretty cheap. $170

Nistune for KA24E, $400, holy crap.

EPROM socket and chip $50 with installation, but you've gotta have someone else tune it, or else pay $150+ for a programmer.

I don't mind reading and learning tuning theory, and I'm not concerned about the messing something up in my daily driver...but it'd be cool to be able to tune for "what feels right" and what gets the best MPG, or suits my driving style, etc. That's what appeals about an emulator or Nistune, but for the money it isn't worth it.

Learn me these things.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Socket and Chip is by far the cheapest, I had everything I needed INCLUDING programmer for under $60. I saw very quickly how realtime tuning is beneficial, especially in what will be a turbo build, so I went with a Moates V2 Emulator.

With the emulator, you would still have to desolder/solder in a socket to accept the 28 pin cable interface.

I can't comment on Nistune, seems to come highly recomended from revolvedspec I think is his name. Remember there is also Calum ecu's that are realtime, but you are again looking at a couple hundred for it.

BTW, I bought my chip programmer for $35.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I got it second hand, so I paid maybe 150-160 IIRC. For your purposes though, leaning out the fuel maps a bit for fuel economy, a chip burner will probably suffice. You should go to eccs.hybridka.com for more info on modifying the stock hardware and maps. Do your reading first over there, and try to avoid asking repetitive/noob questions -- that forum doesn't hold your hand completely through the process. Just a word of advice. I know I made some basic threads and can be used as a stepping stone on your way. Look for my threads, under BigLouKAT I think and you'll find some good information.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
$400?!?!?!!? Its $390! lol
Anyways

If your going to go the emmulator rout, your going to want a good one and a good program to do your tuning with such as nistune. Many times people are "in the dark" to what they are doing because their software and hardware does not provide them with informaiton and they cant see where they are accessing from in the fuel map.

If you truely are goign for fuel milage (and a little performance) and are not actually doing a build for power I would like to offer a different solution.

Get a lc1 wideband and install it before your smog pump inlet on your down pipe or disable the smog pump. Then use the aux wire to mimic your narrow band signal. Hook a laptop up to your lc1 and set its switch point to 15.5-16afr instead of 14.7. That is some decent fuel milage gains right there and you were going to need a wideband for doing anything with tuning anyways. Then go ahead and get yourself a fuel pressure regulator. Do full throttle pulls and be prepaired to be amazed at how rich the stock tune makes you run! Now with the fuel pressure regulator cut out a couple lbs of fuel pressure at a time in order to get your full throttle air fuel ratio to 13:1. Make sure your listening for detenation (with the windows up as it makes it easier). I have found on the sohc ka (stock tune) that its most likely time to detenate is light throttle going up a hill where you step on it just a touch more in order to keep your speed up. You can either retard the distributer by a couple * or run mid grade to fix the problem if it occurs for you. If that dont fix it try retarding it more or retarding it and using mid grade or use premium. You may not have this issue however, I just like to add things to look for and how to fix them so youll be more informed if you decide to try this out.

Hope I could help man.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could get a much less expensive wideband and emulator and essentially do the same thing...couldn't I?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but the only thing the LX-1 is doing to resetting switch point between the O2 Sensor and the ECU.

If I was planning on chipping the ECU anyway, I could just tell it what ratio I want to run at a given RPM.

I could match my inexpensive $50 wideband against what the emulator is telling me I should have for a ration in the EPROM.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If I was planning on chipping the ECU anyway, I could just tell it what ratio I want to run at a given RPM.
Yes, but your going to still be stuck with a 14.7 afr switchpoint.

I could match my inexpensive $50 wideband against what the emulator is telling me I should have for a ration in the EPROM.
So your going to tune on a $50 wideband? And expect good results?

Not trying to be a dick, but you can wish in 1 hand and (do something bad in the other) and see which one fills up faster.

Have you done any tuning before? I think people may have made it sound too easy for you.

Plus if all your doing is socketing the ecu and buying a "cheap" emmulator your not going to know which parts of the map your pulling from because your not going to have any map trace unless you then buy a consult cable and better tuning software.

Yes, what I mentioned for you to do earlier is still the cheapest and most effective way to meet your goal.
I think its safe to say I have allot more experiance in doing this than you do and my suggestions should not be taken lightly. Especially if Im giving you advice is telling you that you dont need to buy nistune from me, well why would I tell you to go buy parts I dont sale??? Because Im not greedy and im just trying to help you meet your goals the smartest and cheapest way possible. thats why.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess since I don't have any of the software involved, I have no idea how difficult it might be to actually figure out tuning.

I'm expecting sort of "plug and play" kind of junk, which is naive.

I'm not calling BS on any of your advice 4x4, I'm just a newb.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a buddy who will sell me a unused AEM UEGO for under $100, but I don't think that'll suit my purposes, aka mute point.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
The biggest thing your facing is even if you get your ecu socketed and chipped, your going to need a nice pricey moats emulator so you have map trace, either that or your going to need a consult cable as well at $95. Then what program are you going to use to do the tuning? Sure there are some free ones, but you get what you pay for. Nistune is hands down the best but It will cost you at least $150 for the program and that is if you get it from the cheapest place possible to get your nistune products (which would be me).

If your truely wanting to use less fuel and that is it, a lc1 and an adjustible fpr will do wonders for you man.

And just to answer your pm here, Yes, the emmulator plugs right into the socket. Somewhere you could get the socket installed would be somewhere that repairs electronic devices. I we dont have a chip burner anymore or any re writable chips but but if you were wanting a bin file to put on a chip without the speed limiters I can make you a bin file. We also can install a socket on your ecu for $50. We could put the stock chip back into that socket too so your ecu would work the same as it did before hand. I didnt just throw $50 out there because that is the price you mentioned in the pm either, if you check our site that is the price we charge.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the AEM UEGO gauge have a similar secondary output like LC-1 or no?

I thought I read of some people setting the afr switch point on AEM gauge...but searching for something that specific is difficult.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This sounds intriguing.

I am interested in doing this. I was actually googling LC-1 and found this thread.

I was asking a friend if the wideband can replace the stock o2 same spot. I have a dc sports 4-2-1, which replaces header and downpipe and o2 bung is at the downpipe part close to the cat.

He told me the LC1 could do this.

I have all the regular boltons other than pulleys and testpipe. I run 91 octane... I just need to get nismo fpr... wideband and i guess im not sure what else nistune daughterboard or what? And nistune software?

Can you further guide me on this? Can you give me your email so we can discuss it? I am in canada. I'm hoping for some 160-180whp with 91 octane, the more the merrier.

This car is my summer daily/road racing track whore.. I want to know what I need to get and what needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I was running my car off an safc, I know I know, and now I'm on the verge of buying a emanage ultimate. The more I think about it, the more I realize I should check out my options first. What do you guys think? red top btw, with a FMIC, 550 CC HKS injectors, Z32 MAF, T28 disco potato, and no wideband.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I didnt. I just bought the car, and the guy had paid to get it tuned. Doesnt the emanage come with a wideband?
I dont know what all the emanage comes with but i doubt it comes with one. If it does come with one it would most likely be a greddy wideband since those do communicate with emanage however greddy 4 wire wannabe widebands are not a true wideband and are total junk. They are what you get when a narrow band and a wideband have a baby. They also burn out sensors very early and the sensors cost slightly more than most bosch 5 wire sensors you can get at a VW dealer. You have to get you greddy sensor from a greddy dealer due to the plug being propritory, and with greddy filing chapter11 those may be difficult to come by. Greddy is regrouping supposedly (and hopefully will be successfull).

Greddy widebands, the only bad product they make lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts