Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently wrecked my car in some ice, and did a good amount of damage. Ran my drivers side wheel into a curb and cracked it...

7 hours of labor: 472.50 (67.50 per hour)
Engine crossmember: 287.62
Lower control arm: 171.13
TC rod bracket: 74.99
2 x KYB front stuts: 242.00
2 x Nismo bushing sets: 80.00
Four wheel alignment: 89.95

Total: 1,418.19

Apparently the 2 KYB struts are cheaper than one OEM strut, so my mechanic suggest that i go with those. I was wondering if anyone has these and could give me feedback, before i have him order them.

I would also appreciate and comments on my estimate. do you thinks its a good price? i got 2 other estimates, but they were from alignment shops such as les schwab, and they missed a lot of problems, so the estimates were cheaper (900.00)

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
219 Posts
pics would be great,

i can tell you right now, you can do it for cheaper... but not by much. it takes a bit of looking around for parts tho, I hit an embankment at a track... got two new cusco tension rods for $250... $170 for one sounds like a rip. find a S14 in a junkyard and your set all parts could possibly be had for $100.

strut wise, ya good to replace. but are they blown? bushing set? are you upgrading all your bushings

GL with repairs!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i tried to find used parts, but came up with nothing...those prices are for all new parts. 150 for all 4 struts sounds like a good deal...where did you buy them?

As far as the bushings go, im not quite sure, thats just what the invoice says.

and 250 for cusco tension rods? tensions rods are the same as lower control arm? sorry i dont mean to ask stupid questions, just trying to learn.

thanks<

Sean

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
i ebayed my gr-2's for my s13 for 150, 180 shipped.

mucking around ebay, they're still 150ish for all 4 for an s13, but surprisingly 230 for all 4 for an s14.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ahh your right, i didnt even think while reading that.
I replaced my LCA for $50 tho.
I still say look around if your in no real hurry n try to get some deals on parts
~GL

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
using gr-2's and dropzone drop springs with a '1.8 drop eliminated the monster truck look, stiffened everything up, and made the cornering 10 times better, but the ride was still incredible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have gr2's on my s14, and I love them :) I've had a problem with cracked control arms as well.. anyone know of an aftermarket company that makes them for the 14?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
OniWaHinonaka said:
yeah, i tried to find used parts, but came up with nothing...those prices are for all new parts. 150 for all 4 struts sounds like a good deal...where did you buy them?

As far as the bushings go, im not quite sure, thats just what the invoice says.

and 250 for cusco tension rods? tensions rods are the same as lower control arm? sorry i dont mean to ask stupid questions, just trying to learn.

thanks<

Sean
why hasn't anyone answered this guy?????!!!??!!? The T/C rod is definately not the same as the control arm and it's your right to ask questions buddy. DOn't feel bad or stupid to ask. There's always something to learn. The Control arm is connected from the frame (typically) to the steering knuckle (which has the spindle and wheels attached to it), while the T/C rod is a rod that connects from the frame to the Control Arm that ensures stability while accelerating/braking.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the reply. So a tc rod is a toe control tension rod, right? if i bought a new set from tein or something, should it include the "bracket"?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
A tension rod is also called a t/c rod. I dont know exactly but Im assuming the t/c stands for tension control. It basically holds the wheel from moving forward or bacwards under acceleration. If you get adjustable tension rods they are used to adjust caster.

The tie rods are what sets the toe.

and no, if you buy new tension rods they will not include brackets.

ALTHOUGH I also have a set of s14 tension rod brackets in perfect shape if you want them, pm me if you do :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts