Nissan 240SX Forums banner

21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, I've got a little problem with the shifter. I have a 'c-clip' or hog nose ring that seems too small and doesn't fit in the groove in the trans, there's a bushing that the shifter sits in and a bushing that's on the shifter. Is something missing? or something broken? Or? I tried looking at parts diagrams and I don't see what's missing/broken? Might just buy a short shifter..

Cleaned up some of the rust from around the brake/clutch master cylinder and painted it. Got the Engine harness pulled through the firewall, but still need to route the front clip harness and get it all plugged in a strapped down. Probably won't be getting the engine in next weekend, but that's ok..

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I don't think you're missing anything from that shifter assembly, maybe except for a paper washer. Have you tried flipping the c-clip or is the clip just too small?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I figured it out. I'm missing a clip that goes in that slot and the 'c-clip' goes beneath it to retain the shifter. I can get it for $4 from Nissan, part no. 32204V5004.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I didn't get the engine in last weekend but confident that this Saturday it'll will be. Oil pan is on, stupid missing clip is at the dealer, engine harness is pulled. Not sure how the ecu is mounted? Is there supposed to be a bracket? More to do before it runs though. It'll start and hopefully drive before the end of the month.

Edit: Anyone know why someone might have drilled the oil pickup shield?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got the engine in over the weekend.

Still have to get the wire harnesses all pulled/plugged in and bolt up the driveline and get the exhaust on and welded. But it's getting closer.. and hopefully it'll be running by the end of the month.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks!

I will be moving it into the garage tonight considering it got down to about 25 degrees last night and I think more cold and wet weather is coming. I'll be able to button everything up much easier if it isn't outside.

Think I can make it through DEQ with just a cat and no mufflers? It's got some 'blast pipes' on it now. I have a feeling it's going to be a little too loud for my taste..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not much progress lately. Got the shitty ebay H4 housings replaced. I've had a little trouble with the routing for the harnesses in the engine bay. Just need to massage it and get it routed properly before strapping it down.

Not going to be running by the end of the month, but should be able to fire it up in 2 weeks..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Making some good progress this week. Got nearly all the wires plugged in. I had a set of 3 that I didn't have a clue where they went, turns out they're for the window washer bottle, and also as it turns out the window washer bottle and pump is gone. Why would you pull it out!? Transmission and driveline all bolted up. Exhaust all bolted up. Alternator, starter wired up. The relay plugs on the harness that came out of the donor were all busted, so I 'depinned' and 'repinned' the sockets with the good ones from the other harness. PITA, but it came out pretty good. I'm going to attempt to remove a broken bolt for the power steering pump in the block this afternoon and start routing hoses and vacuum lines and maybe make a bracket to hold the AFM.

Full 3" all the way back to blast pipes! LoL, it'll be getting a cat and muffler!

Intake pipes starting to go on.

Hoping to fire this shitbox up this weekend! It's going to be soo awesomely loud with straight pipes!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Didn't happen. Ran into all sorts of small tedious problems. Oil pan temp sensor set screw/plug was leaking. No freaking way a battery will fit in the stock location, it's got to go in the back. I don't have a stupid BOV and couldn't find a retainer clip to block it off. Didn't have enough bolts or the right bolts or matching bolts (being picky) or clamps. Didn't have an upper rad hose. MAF wire seems a little too short and it's missing the clip. Couldn't fit the filter and MAF in the bay. Couldn't find a 5/8" power steering reservoir hose. It just seemed like 2 steps forward 1 step backwards for everything I did.

But, got most of that crap taken care of, and hopefully I can fire it up next weekend.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
A little closer.. And I realized the injector plugs/harness actually routes along the inner part of the intake manifold not on the top. doh!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It's alive!

Are the valves adjustable or are they hydraulic? It's breaking up under boost pretty bad, probably have a boost leak or something. Do these things not use a pressure sensor for boost?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Try cleaning the maf of closing the spark plug gap to see if it's still breaking up under boost.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
MAF is brand new for KA24E. I set the gap on the plugs, but I might try closing them in a little.

Now that I think of it, I bet it's bad gas, it has tags from 2014 and it still had about 1/3rd of a tank.. shit. I should have drained it before filling it up. Maybe I'll throw in a can of octane booster.

I need to tidy up quite a few things, get the title transferred, get a temp permit and get a cat on it for emissions. But it does run and move. I'm going to raise it up about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I have k-sports from the donor and it has stance coilovers on it now, not sure which one I should keep? Seemed pretty bouncy. I need to get the keyed lug nuts off that I don't have the keys for and of course it has 2 different types on it. LoL.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It could be bad gas. They make kits that break off lug nuts, can probably find it at sears or O'Reilly auto. I'd test out both coilovers and keep the set you like the most. Both are decent.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I just ordered some keys for the lugs off amazon, hopefully they fit, or I'll just pound a socket on them. I've come to another conclusion why it's breaking up, it's overboosting. I used one of the upper nipples on the TB for the wastegate which only provides vacuum. I'm going to tap the IC or a hot pipe for the wastegate reference. I've read you can use the lower nipple on the TB but might still hit fuel cut. It already has a boost gauge from the previous owner that I need to hook up which might help with monitoring the pressure. Lots more to do!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It's insured, got a temporary trip permit and title transfer is in process. Catalytic converter is ready to be welded up this Saturday and then I'm off to take it to DEQ for emissions testing early next week. Fingers Crossed! If it passes, I have to go back to the damn DMV to get it registered/tags.

I tried the lower nipple on the TB and put a restrictor in the exhaust (basically a flat plate with a 2" hole in it) but that only helped a little with the overboosting issue. I'm going to put in a boost reference from the intercooler piping to the WG and hopefully that does does the trick.

Battery is mounted in the back for now. Going to hook up the boost gauge and finish putting the interior back together and clean up some of the wiring this afternoon.

Fans are wired up and running off a themoswitch (185 deg on 175 deg off) in the radiator. I'm not sure if the engine has a thermostat, it takes a long time to warm up. The thermoswitch might be too low temperature since it doesn't even get to the middle of the gauge before the fans kick on.

Apparently with these Enkei wheels you can't use regular lug nuts. I even tried a thin walled socket and you just can't get it in there. I guess I need some 'tuner' lug nuts, but at least I have all the socket keys I need!

Once I get it through DEQ and fully registered I'm going to get a nismotronic and WB and start learning to tune it.

21 - 40 of 120 Posts