Nissan 240SX Forums banner
121 - 125 of 125 Posts
Discussion starter · #121 · (Edited)
Not a whole lot to be honest. It's been sitting for a while since it needed a new clutch, but I finally am wrapping it up. Competition Stage 2.

Going to get back into tuning it. I'm sort of starting over from a MAP Base tune on the Nismotronic and we'll see how that goes. Hopefully better than what I was working with.

Edit 4-27-22: Tuning is going like shit. LoL, I keep trying to import parts of other base tunes that might affect the idle and what not, it just messes all sorts of crap up and I have to try again. I'm daily driving it now, so I'll have some more progress to share in the next few weeks/months.

Edit #2. So today I decided to mess with my tune while I was at work, then at lunch I uploaded it and realized it was no good, then I reverted back, still no good, then as I was driving tried to fix it by changing the SD fueling (changes the fueling for all the maps) and ended up leaning it a bit too far out. Then, my laptop died. 15-16AFRs sputtering and shit so I mashed it to the Thai restaurant I was meeting some co-workers. After lunch I go to start it and, uh oh, it doesn't want to start, I'm frantically fiddling with the pedal and cranking the shit out of it and finally it started, but wouldn't idle, I'm trying to keep it running, pumping the gas pedal and crap and was able to get out of there and get it home.
Moral of the story, don't mess with your tune when your laptop battery might die and don't try to edit/load maps while your driving.

I appreciate the update. I can't really speak on the tune as I really don't know shit.

Competition clutch will do well for ya. I have a stage 1 on my Subie and it's been 6 years so far. It's seen some abuse lol. We had the trans off a few months ago and it still had plenty of life.

Discussion starter · #123 ·
Replaced my sunroof latch. This one was for a 1987-1997 pickup/d21/pathfinder/sentra and is about 1/2 the price as a '240sx' one. Now it doesn't whistle when blasting down the freeway.

Since I have old stock engine and tranny mounts I thought I'd try one of those engine torque damper things for $40. LoL. It's literally just a couple plastic bushings what appears to be a damper housing. Trying to think of a way to make it do what it's supposed to but I don't want a lot of vibration like solid mounts. The brackets are like 1/4 steel though.

Picked up a Everlast 250EX TIG welder w/ watercooler and 150CF argon tank for $850. Need to get to practicing..

Discussion starter · #124 · (Edited)
Still Cracking at it.
Got some new 3d printed dash vents from ebay. These are way better than the shitty metal ones from LRB that don't defrost the windshield in front of the driver. They fit good and are made of ABS which should last a long time. No weird bolts to tighten by the windshield or clips and they just pop right in.

Got some Nismo Engine Mounts, yet to get them in, ugh. Still need to find the nismo trans mount too. Got some steering rack bushings to go in. I'll slowly start working on other bushings and shit. Need to get some rear camber adjustment in there too.

Recently I've been noticing my car sitting un-level and it seemed to be pulling a little to one side and just thought it was from the attack angle I always take into my driveway which was causing one side to settle/sag more than the other. So I've been trying to attack it from the other direction, but last night decided to actually take a look at the shock on the drivers side and see what was up. The entire threaded portion of the shock had completely threaded itself out of the lower portion, which caused binding in the spring and made it sit unlevel.
Luckily that shit didn't break/come out. Dangerous and a little scary, cause I beat the shit out of this thing, +100mph rips onto the freeway, powerslides (not really drifting). I was able to crank the threaded portion all the way back in and I tightened the shit out of collars. Something to definitely keep an eye on if you hear your springs binding up when you turn or anything. The pillow ball/top hat portion of the shock doesn't seem to be rotating with the spring which is causing the spring to bind which is turning the entire threaded portion. I loosened up the nut on the top/pillow ball, but I'll fuck with it a little more as time allows. If something doesn't seem right, take a moment to at least check it out.

Discussion starter · #125 · (Edited)
Got pulled over for a little rip, 40 in a 30, expired tags (expired 4/2020), and excessive noise. Officer said he would ask the court to dismiss the entire ticket since I worked quickly to correct the issues, but has yet to actually do so.
To get the registration had to take it through DEQ and wouldn't pass with 740cc injectors and had to swap in the stock 370cc's. I think the 740cc injectors just don't pulse low enough or are steady at idle. Idle is great with the 370's but they don't like too much boosty boost. Got some Subaru yellow tops injectors that flowed out around 600cc, but didn't realize the plug is different, and so I'm not sure what to do with them now.
To quiet things up a little, I had a vibrant ultra quiet resonator I wanted to weld onto the exhaust, but it turns out I am horrible at welding, let alone TIG welding thin stainless steel, and horrible at fit it up. I thought I had it lined up, but I welded it all backwards by lining up the wrong flanges. Cut it back apart and got it tacked up in the correct orientation, but now, due to cutting off the old welds I'm about 2-3 inches short. It's been quite a process, but a very valuable learning experience. Ordered some gas lenses and will try to back purge, but I'm really blowing through the argon. $128 a tank and it's practically empty in a weekend. Obviously lots of practicing and use, but didn't think it'd go that quick.

That's about it for now. Still need to do sway bar and steering rack bushings and the engine/tranny mounts, I also need some camber adjustment in the rear. Maybe some JWT cams next year, fix up the body, paint and more suspension/bushings and other small things. Hopefully do more driving and less spending/wrenching.

10/19 Update Edit:

370cc is not enough injector for this boostyboi. Ordered some cheapo subaru 550cc yellow tops and gave those a try for a bit. Turns out, like I expected, they are chinese knockoff injectors and I just didn't like how they were working, swapped back in the 740's tried everthing on the Nismotronic to get them down and idle good, but they just won't pulse less than 1.4ms without running like shit. I probably should have tried higher/lower fuel pressure, but I'm not sure that's the right path. Maybe the 740's will work at idle with a cam and a intake manifold. Considered going to ID1050x, but then gotta get a rail, and all the other shit. If I was going to run E85 maybe, but not for pump fuel.
Ordered another set of subaru 550's out of a salvaged subaru legacy GT 2.5L turbo that should be legit and I believe they are the newer 12 hole injectors.
The resonator quieted things up a little, but it's still not that quiet, maybe after it wears in a little. Turns out my argon regulator flow gauge is in liter's per minute, L\Min, not CFH, and I had it cranked to about 2x what it needed to be. Welds much better to. Still need more practice.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts