Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, i'm in need of a little assist here. My s13 has been sitting for a over a year (in pieces after a timing chain replacement) and i FINALLY found some time to assemble it again. Anyway after getting it together, testing for spark (coil, dist, plugs, fuses), fuel (pump's working n injectors r fairly new) i'm about stumped. It cranks but refuses to start. Havent checked my CAS yet but all sensors WERE working. Any ideas would be helpful. Just tryn 2 get the ka(e) running for transport til im ready 2 swap. Thanks

·
Another squid on a Gixxer
1,448 Posts
can't remember the layout on the single cam off hand, but have you made sure the distributor is set correctly? IIRC #1 cyl should fire at 20 degrees before TDC. set the motor at TDC on the intake stroke, and set the distributor. I was fighting this for a while too when I first did my E to DE swap, and didn't realize that I was setting it at TDC on the combustion stroke. after I reset it properly, she fired right up, and ran like a champ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im about 80% certain everything stayed at tdc while i was reassembling but i just cant think of anything else it could be. Firing order is 1 3 4 2 n that seems ok but correct me if i'm wrong but dont the intake and exhaust valves for cyl 1 supposed to be closed on fire-up? I mean even if it were bad fuel it should start sputter and die right?

·
1,448 Posts
thats why I said make sure it's set correctly.. if you set it at TDC on the wrong stroke, it won't fire.. you might get a slight sputter like it wants to fire, but it won't.. don't just be 80% sure when it comes to your car.. you wouldn't want your doctor only being 80% sure that he's right about whats wrong with you, would ya?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
what do your plugs look like after trying to start it?

I hate to say this... BUT...

Are you 100% sure your engine was #1 TDC on the compression stroke when you put the timing chain on?

Did you rotate the engine by hand (with a wrench, plugs out) after putting it back together to make sure your cam and crank where correctly timed together after the timing chain replacement?

Where you positive that the engine was at #1 TDC on the compression stroke when you reinstalled the distributor (also pointing at #1)

Best Case: you are 180 degrees out on your distributor timing
Worst Case: Your cam timing was off and you bent valves

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im certain I put everything back at TDC what i'm NOT certain of is if my dist and timing is the issue. The car wont fire-up at all so I'm not worried about head damage yet. The only other prob is that the car is a hr away from me so i only have 1day out the week to work on it. But what I will do is take it apart again and see where i messed up. Worse case scenario the car sits for a few more months til I find a engine. Thanx

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
you can damage the head just by spinning the starter/rotating the engine...

These are interference engines.. the valves can hit the pistons

·
1,448 Posts
it's not a matter of making sure you just set it all at TDC, it's a matter of making sure you set it at TDC on the intake stroke.. you can easily set the distributor 180* off.

pull the valve cover, make sure when you're at TDC, it's on the INTAKE stroke, and reset the distributor.. this is more than likely the issue.. if he had his distributor set correctly, it would still fire for a second with bad timing.. although, it would sound like absolute ass if his cams were slightly off (read: 1 tooth in either direction)

double check the distributor.. if thats correct, check to make sure the cams are positioned correctly..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts