Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my head gasket is leaking something terrible. (leaking coolant, i mean)
and so i'm debating between doing it myself or having someone else do it.
i've never replaced a head gasket before. how big of a deal is it by replacing it in a standard KA?
i just don't want to get in over my head.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would not recommend doing it yourself unless you are mechanically inclined ... that is a big job so you are better off paying a mechanic. You have to torque down the head and all that good stuff and I would put on a new water pump and themostat too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah. that way it'll be done correct. I'm mechanically inclined to some degree and have ripped apart engines before, just not in a running car where the work has to be done with the engine still mounted. Not that that's a big deal, i just don't feel like paying some dude a couple hundred that I don't have to fix it. Overall, would I be better off doing it with some supervision from people who DO know how to do it or just not bother at all? I wouldn't do it alone, that's for sure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
yeah its up to you but all I know is that it is alot easier to take an engine apart than to put it back together.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh for sure, dude. but on the KA's. it's just the head and head cover that need to be removed, isn't that right? ahhh I'll just look up like a chilton diagram or something.

·
Registered
309 Posts
yeah like I said its up to you. me myself thats to much for me to tackle. I would just save and pay to get it fixed. I feel you on the forking up the bread to get it fixed be a mechanic though ...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Download an FSM...

Chiltons sucks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FSM? speakin spanish, man this stuff's new to me.
ahh i'll just look it up, haha.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep got it. this is pretty useful. thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i have the tools necessary. probably just a day job if i wanted to rush it. anything I need to do to the block or head while it's off before reassembly or just slap the new one on?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahhhh. i'm gonna stop talking. yeah. i'd pry just have to pull the engine to make this job easiest...
too much work for me, don't really have that kinda time, with school and all... :/ might as well just hire someone out to do it.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
FSM = Factory Service Manual
i think u figured that out already

when i blew my HG, i just looked for another low mileage KA and swapped it in, it costs about the same...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts