Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...s14 blacktop motor. cant do without my 240 and i need to do this head gasket asap. im definitely going with an aftermarket gasket considering im running about 12-14 psi and i know that helped the paper gasket blow out. question is, how much is my compression gonna drop if i go with lets say and 87mm bore and 1.1mm thickness (compared to the stock 86mm bore and .8mm thickness)??? im still running the stock t28 with bolt ons, so nothing high hp. thanks in advance
:thumbsup

oh and another thought, any brands i should stay away from?? not looking to spend a shit load of cash either...

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
stay away from cometic. some people will tell you theirs has given them no problems, but I can tell you mine leaked from day one and didnt seal up so we pulled the head again after 300 miles for the new tomie gasket. It has done perfectly fine under lots of abuse. Now its pricey but highly recommended. I hear good things about cosworth hg's too and they dont cost as much.

Make sure and get you some arp head studs too! Make sure to get the new ones, frsport has the right part number on them, the ones you want are actually the same ones for certain vw's.......

Trust me, they are better because they actually work and dont streach.
Your stock ones are not reusable although some people try.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i heard bad things about cometic, thats why i figured i would ask. and yes im definitely studding it because anybody who tries to reuse the stock head bolts is an idiot. torque to yield bolts are one time use!!!
but back to sizing...how much of a compression drop should i expect by using a 87mm by 1.1mm gasket as apposed to the stock 86mm by .8mm????

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha well i know that stock is 8.5:1 and im not trying to lower it at all. just looking to do the head gasket, i only saw one brand that offered a multi layer metal in the stock size and it was pricey. im just trying to do the gasket as cheap as possible without sacrificing a good brand or compression. im gonna rip the motor out and really start building it within a year from now, but im just trying to get it back on the road for now with a reliable gasket and studs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts