Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my oil filter is stuck and shredded from the screwdriver method. so a cup type wrench will not fits, and i cant seems to get a strap wrench to work, ive tried hammer and chisel in counter clockwise direction, no luck.

thinking about removing my entire intake manifold in order to get some more room. anyone know of a write up for removing intake mani?

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Being as you don't care about this one, one of the best tools for the ones that wont come off are a pair of channel locks. they give tons of leverage and bite power.

·
GnarKiller
5,116 Posts
My buddy just bought a Audi S4 that had been sitting for a while. When we went to do the first oil change his filter was seized like a bitch on his adapter plate just like yours. We tried a filter wrench, screw driver method, razor blading the seal, and still no luck. After a long day of frustration we went to autozone to search for ideas. We ended up buying this chain link filter wrench for about $20 that looked like it was going to break inside the package. The tool looked feeble and worthless, but it was the last option and we had nothing to lose. When we got home we strapped the chain links around the busted up filter and gave it our all. Sure enough the piece of shit looking tool prevailed.

If you haven't tried the chain tool yet don't be fooled by its cheap looks. Give it a go before you rip the IM outta there and channel lock the SOB.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
if you have a huge set of vice grips, like the 14" ones you can just clamp on that bitch and it should come right off. or like eomund said a pair of channel locks. if you need even more leverage you can stick the biggest closed end wrench on the end of the pliers. and if it wont come off then, whoever installed that filter waaayyyy overtightened it. you are only suppose to turn the filter 3/4 to 1 rotation after the rubber seal touches the base.

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
also at auto zone they sell another tool that grips the shit out of the fillter, it looks alot like a spider and the claws get tighter as you turn it that shit can remove anything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts