Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll admit it, I don't know much of anything about the 240's let alone import tuner cars. I've been more of a muscle car uy myself. Up until recently. My girlfreind is getting a 1992 240 and has all but given it to me for my next project car. I'm not sure what kind of 240 it is, I would say it is the fast back one, but something is telling me that that isn't the proper lingo. I know that the popular thing to do is an sr20 swap. I'm basically trying to keep this car a daily driver, but still have relatively impressive performance. Is the sr20 the best way to go or is it just popular. I've read about some other engines that people swap, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to go for this project. I could also use some help with all of the other things; tranny, suspension, all that good stuff.
thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Il give you the best advice you'l ever get on this board, or probably any other board aswell.. SEARCH, SEARCH, an SEARCH a lil more, all your answers will be there if you dig deep enough.

Id say before performance.. replace worn out parts, and upgrade your suspension.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm just starting to get used to the whole "asking the right question to get the right answer" thing.

when you say worn parts, what exactly would be of concern. I've decided that i'm going to do an engine swap so that gets rid of alot of that worn stuff. what else should i look for?
thanks

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
My advise is to constantly read as much as you can on this board and the other 240 boards out there.

It pays to do your research before you spend any money at this point.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
RuskeR said:
My advise is to constantly read as much as you can on this board and the other 240 boards out there.

It pays to do your research before you spend any money at this point.
Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcellent advice!!!:thumbsup :1bowdown

The tendancy is to just start buying new parts for the car. :nono Read, research, see who really knows what they are talking about, then decide for yourself.

Based on my experience, the KA24E and KA24DE engines are not engines I want to sink money into. I prefer to pull out the old engine, know EXACTLY what I am dealing with, replace all the worn parts (hoses, clean the engine bay, etc), and then replace with a lower mileage engine (SR20 is a good choice and you start off with a good platform if you decide to go for higher HP goals), This is just MY opinion. Obviously, others will disagree.

If you engine is running well, start off replacing the parts that are in need of replacing (tie rods, brakes, rotors, tires, shocks). If the engine shows ANY signs of trouble, pull that piece of shyt out and start off with a clean slate. Change the clutch while you are at it and then call it a day!:thumbsup

Some will advise you to rebuild the KA or get a KA24DE (91-94) engine, build it for boost, and then go from there. It is not a bad idea if you want to do through the hassel. I know I would rather go with an engine that was designed from the factory for a turbo. Less trouble, more likely to have better reliability, but that's just me. :12dunno

Hope this helps. If not, then I just wasted my time. :happyfing

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
delion85 said:
Il give you the best advice you'l ever get on this board, or probably any other board aswell.. SEARCH, SEARCH, an SEARCH a lil more, all your answers will be there if you dig deep enough.

Id say before performance.. replace worn out parts, and upgrade your suspension.
:iwithsupe

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm not really looking for 0 - 60 in 2 seconds. it would be nice, but i'm looking for a fast daily driver that turns some heads. I've got a pretty good handle on the cosmetic end of it all, but since i don't know this kind of car all that well, i was looking for some performance assistnace.
I kinda know what i want to accomplish as in a new suspension, auto to manual conversion, and some power, i'm just not sure what all is good for the 240. I know that i don't want the clutch pedal that you have to go to the gym 5 days a week just to be strong enough to use it. which limits the amount of power and torque that the engine can produce. I want to beable to adjust the suspension so that i don't break my neck everytime i go over a bump on my way to work, and then tighten it all up saturday night to the track.
That's basically what i'm looking for, fast and flashy, yet daily driver comfort.
I know that later, when i have a different car for my daily driver, that i'll want to do more with the 240 so I still want the potential for more.
I think that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
whats the condition of the KA? if its strong, i'd boost it. otherwise, do a swap. dont worry about people saying that SR's are "played out". thats bs because they couldnt afford one.

search it up and learn as much as you can.

90's a good year. same as my sil-hatch

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i also had to correct myself
it ins't a 1990
its a 1992

it has about 125,000 miles on it
that sounds like alot to me, but i have also seen alot of nissians ans such with well over 250,000 and they have run fine

i figure that since it is over 10 years old and only has 125,000 miles on it, it wasn't driven all that much. i've found out that it was driven by a kid that wasn't all that great of a driver, so its last few miles were pretty hard on it.
it need to get things like the a/c hoses replaced, but thats about it to put it back to factory condition ish

·
Registered
118 Posts
he said it was a 92.. so that makes it a ka24de(DOHC) I believe.. my opinion is simply that an opinion... I would say that if the motor is strong, then start with suspension and handeling mods. be sure to do your research, it sucks to buy parts, and take all the time to install them. then realize that you need a better part.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and if i haven't sounded dumb enough already
whats the difference between dohc and sohc
better yet
what is dohc and sohc
i know they are engine codes, but i don't know what they stand for and i don't know the difference between them
i also know that i could probably search and find the answer so please don't beat that dead horse

·
Registered
21 Posts
The SR20 does have stronger internals than the KA24 since it IS factory turbocharged, but the KA24 is .4 liters more if that really means anything to you, and i've seen them with lower-comp pistons and stronger rods boosted making around 500HP.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts