Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats what I'm hoping for anyway. Today, I go to start my car, and once it starts, the entire thing starts to shake. Sitting in neutral, clutch out, not touching anything, ebrake on, the entire car is shaking violently. My shift lever is having a spasm. I pop the hood, and my entire engine is shaking side to side a good inch on either side. My entire car is vibrating. It's like, a terrible terrible idle problem.

The exhaust is almost popping and sounds extremely lopey. And also smells like fuel.

My thinking, is that one of my cylinders isnt firing, causing the car to vibrate because its running on 3 cylinders, and that the unburn fuel building in the cylinder is what smells.

When I shut my car off, I unpluged and replugged all my spark plug wires from the distributer, and made sure that all of them were on tight. It ran fine. Although after it sat a while, I start it up again, same shit. So, what is wrong?

A wire? The distributer? But only on one cylinder? Ill try to get a video of it if it happens again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow, an inch? Did you check your engine mounts? If its an inch, they're probably bad but that's not what is making your engine shake. Compression check your all 4 cylinders and go from there I would say. Is it knocking at all?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
find out if its missing on a cylender. Pull plug wires 1 by 1 and replace them 1 by one. If by pulling one of them it does not effect the engine then that is the dead cylender. Then you have to diagnose if the injector or the spark is the problem. Ive seen dead injectors cause this, Ive seen bad wires cause this, Ive seen bad caps and buttons cause this. I doubt it is the distributer itself.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Replaced the distributor cap, kinda fixed, but not really. It still happens, kinda like a bog, feeling wise, but it just SOUNDS like only 3 cylinders are firing. Check the video. Right now, it's not working cause its processing, but when people start to wake up hopefully it will work. Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ew if it smells like gas its ounds like one of your cylinders isn't firing which means it would be flooding which would explain the gas smell. I would check compression see if everything is good then give it a tune up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts