Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all, i am not a noob at a turbo but still learning. this is the setup i am planning to do after taking all the parts out of my DSM. No flames please, just trying to see how this might work out. It will be just a testing spec so no more than 180whp for now.

14b Turbine (equivelent to T25) internal wastegated
stock 1g DSM BOV
Side Mount Intercooler
370cc injectors
Exhaust
Downpipe

and will be tuned by wideband. but how does this seem to you all?

·
Registered
105 Posts
with 370's ull need safc or hacked maf..
small stuff ull also need
1. egr blockoff
2. oil feed and return lines, check out http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html for all those lines.. comes with everything you need.
3. boost, oil pressure, oil temp gauges- get a sandwich for the oil pressure or oil temp gauges.
4. if ur downpipe does not reach all the way to the exhaust, ull need a test pipe or gut ur cat
5. the dump tube-o2 housing for the turbo unless the stock one can fit on ur downpipe or ur gonna custom make one then ull just need the flange and piping
6. exhaust manifold for the turbo on ur ka
thats all i can remember right now.. if ur using ur car as a daily driver right now.. work on the small stuff first like
1)putting the return line bung on the oil pan
2)egr removal
3)piggy back unit install
4)370's install
5)gauges install
6)welding a bung for ur wideband on ur downpipe unless it uses the narrowband o2 sensor for readings
7)T adapter for the oil feed line.. just plug up the top part of the T adapter where ull put the feed line for the meantime

·
Another squid on a Gixxer
1,448 Posts
14b is tiny... I ran one on my old 2g DSM back in the day.. spools faster than shit, but power is kinda... ehhh.. it'll increase your power, but I wouldn't expect to be impressed by any means..

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
What bolt pattern does the 14b have?

Can you find a manifold to match that turbo?
Does the elbow come out with where it sits in the car?

If you want I have a T25 (super low miles, no shaft play what’s so ever)

See sig... For link

You will still need

-Fuel pump (maybe, might get away with the stock one)
-FPR (or stock SR)
-Tune (SAFC, or tuned ECU)
-Exhaust Manifold
-Downpipe
-Oil/coolant lines
(You can get away with just oil, but u better let your car cool off after driving)
Gauges (optional, but highly recommended)

but so far, your some what on the right track, but i would recomend a T25 instead of the 14b

·
Registered
105 Posts
true t25 all the way, better fitment and easier to get the parts for it.. u can find greddy or blitz turbo timers for pretty cheap around 20 to 40 bucks so you dont have to worry bout that coolant stuff.. got my greddy turbo timer for 20 bucks.. and ya like sr20 said fuel pump is highly recommended-walboro for 90 bucks shipped.. while ur at it get a 300zx fuel filter 12 bucks at autozone.. fpr u can get a rising rate oneor u could get an adjustable megan racing one for 50 bucks shipped, thats what i have and it works great just ull need to get a different fuel rail adapter like this one http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9081 or nismo one .. or do what i did and buy a thicker o-ring for the megan fuel rail adapter so there are no leaks.. also might wanan go ahead and get NGK BKR7E spark plugs gapped to stock if running below 9 psi and .034" if running about 12 psi.. but if so then get a manual boost controller or electronic one if the weather in ur area is unpredictable.. but most of these stuff i listed here are not really needed just mainly for precaution..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the information. it was a great help.
by the way, the things i've mentioned are just basic things under the engine bay. thought the list would be long to list all the fittings and lines and gauges and so forth. i have those small parts ready. but i still thank bigboizsilvia for mentioning other things.
big question was fuel and tuning. i guess fpr isn't good enough to tune by itself.
manifold is custom made. and reason i've mentioned 14b was to make it into mini-me 16g using evo turbo. but guess i should just go for t25 to make my life easy. thank everyone that helped me out.

·
Another squid on a Gixxer
1,448 Posts
the DSM 14b has the same bolt pattern as a straight T25... because it uses the same hot side housing..

·
Registered
277 Posts
KennySupra said:
the DSM 14b has the same bolt pattern as a straight T25... because it uses the same hot side housing..
which t25 are you talking about? a nissan i/e sr20 or ca t25? if so they are totally different than 14b's as far as bolt patterns go

·
Registered
429 Posts
reguardless of what bolt pattern it uses, the 14b is too small to be really effective. Its not big enough for the DSM's that were unfortunate enough to get them (some misc 1st gens and automatics). On the KA it would spool way early and run out of steam. If you want a fast spool/lower max power turbo, t25 or equivalent is the best way to go...I realize other people have already said it, just reiterating the point since its the better choice.

·
SLO-S13
4,454 Posts
14B is not the equivlent to a T25 just so you know, it's slightly bigger. Both use TD04 housings though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they use td05h.
and by the way, as i've mentioned reason for using 14b is to convert it to mini 16g, evo 3 turbo.
t25 i've mentioned IS from 2 gen dsm, which does use same hot side as 14b.
also, 14b isn't as small as it seems.
also, it is equivelent to t25 (as far as t25 i am talking about).
using stock internals, 14b isn't as bad. they do spool fast, and it is enough for 1gen dsm to run 14's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
for you who aren't aware of dsm's and the 14b it's a very cable turbo. No way is it a sorry as yall are rating it. I've had the 16g and the 20g mitsubishi turbos the produce pretty good power. With a 14b it is true that you can mod it into a 16g and produce upwards of 350-375 to the ground with right mods. I've ran against tuned 14b's and they' pull hard than a t25 any day. Now if you would've said a t28, I would've yeah that's a better turbo.

·
SLO-S13
4,454 Posts
14b has proven to run 12's for the DSMers though, some gutted fully built engines with NOS into the 11's too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i agree with the people who say yes to the 14b. I actually have one on my KA-T. Especially if you only want 180whp, the smaller the better. The 14b wich is the td05 is not that bad at all. My buddy has a t3 on his ka-t and it's not that bigger than mine. Plus you can use the turbo bov and sidemount all from a dsm for pretty cheap and it'll be pretty quick. If your getting all the upgraded fuel, you may as well run more boost and get a front mount intercooler. The KA can handle it fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
to all who helped me out, thank you.
and yes, 14b is a good turbo. not lot of people know the capability unless u own one or had a dsm.
and yes, dsm items are cheap to get to and decent (in fact i have every one of dsm parts from my parts car).
one more question, has anyone tried using dsm injectors?
they are stock 450cc and used on many hondas but was wondering if anyone used it on a nissan.
again, this is more of a budget turbo so i no flames on how well it handles or the limit to it please. just wanting to get little help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to be a dsm guy and the 14b is big enough to support just over 300whp in a awd dsm thats with like 20% loss of power through the drivetrain. This was with alot of bolt ons but no slouch for power in the least the dsm T- 25 from second gen dsms suck they can only support like 250Hp. We just built a turbo setup for my friends honda with a 14b and it should make around 250whp on pump gase at 14psi if you push the 14b past 14 psi you'll kill it quick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts