Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother drove his car to my house in Ohio from his submarine base in Connecticut. A couple days before he left his car stopped running. The car is still here, he had to report back to base.
Everyone thought it was the starter, so the other day I tried to start it by popping the clutch, and when I put it into gear and let off the clutch nothing happened. The car continued to roll down the driveway with no resistance. I looked down and the clutch pedal didn't extend all the way back out.

He is about to leave for six months and I want to get his car back to him before he does. This is a very big deal to me and him.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?
A place to start?

TL;DR Car won't start, clutch pedal doesn't come back out when pushed in, won't go in to gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know if this helps but...
Nothing happens when you turn the key. Lights come on but that's it. No clicking or anything. It was running fine and was parked for like 5 minutes or so, then it wouldn't start.
That means it's not a leak right? Or no?

·
Registered
241 Posts
They tried push starting it and it didn't run. This would eliminate the starter. Check all your fuses.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
And your clutch master and slave cyls.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
check for leaks on the clutch slave cylinder. i havn't had this problem w/my 240 but, my 3000gt had a bad seal on the slave cylinder and i knew it cuz i had my friend pull the clutch pedal up from the floor & when he pushed the clutch back in i could see fluid leaking from the rubber boot that covers the rod that pushes on the fork to engage/disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Interesting. clutch problem is most likely the clutch master cylinder issue. A Lot of the time when they go out they will leak inside the car. You might try looking up under the dash and seeing if there is a leak around the shaft. Next try and bleed the system, you bleed it and the slave cylinder, putting you in good view to see if it is leaking. The slave cylinder is a common part to fail.

Starting problem is weird. I would check the starter relay, I have experienced them, where I could hear them close, but they would not get contact. They are a cheap part and most of the early to mid 90's nissan use the same one. If you buy one, pull the starter and have the parts store test it. Process of elimination.

But I am wondering about the neutral safety switch. Does anyone know what happens when they fail? It is too late to look, but I wonder if the cmc was leaking, if it could leak on the neutral safety switch and short it. just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The nuyetral safety switch would cause that problem if bad, mine is bypassed from the previous owner. Could be a starter solenoid to. Remove it and take it to Autozone, Advance, or Or'eillys store, they test them for free.

·
Registered
65 Posts
had the same prob on my 5th gen prelude. turns out had a bad clutch master cylinder and since the clutch wasnt engaging the car didnt turn on. Its like trying to start a manual car without pressing the clutch in... starter should be fine cuz come on what a coincidence that the clutch pedal doesnt return by it self and it only makes sense that no clutch pressure = no car running

·
Registered
22 Posts
My car is doing the same exact thing right now. When i try to start it it just clicks. And i did notice a leak in the slave cyl. about 2 months ago. Sometimes the clutch petal goes to the floor and sticks and i have to pull it up by hand.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
My car is doing the same exact thing right now. When i try to start it it just clicks. And i did notice a leak in the slave cyl. about 2 months ago. Sometimes the clutch petal goes to the floor and sticks and i have to pull it up by hand.
well jake sounds like u hav the same problems seddy did. get a new starter relay and see if that fixes the starting issue. if not, get a hammer and hit the body of the starter (black case) firmly but not too hard 2 see if it will start after that. if it does then your starter is bad and they are about 100bux after you turn in your old core. & the clutch pedal sticking in problem is usually caused by a leak in the system. check your lines off of the clutch master cylinder going to the slave cylinder. check the slave cylinder boot & pry it back a lil bit & if fluid comes out, the seal is bad & you need a new slave cylinder. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Or rebuild your starter for about $10... Nissan sells the brushes

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took my starter off and tested it and it kicks out and spins, but i havnt checked any relays yet. So that will probably be my next step.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You cant just jump the starter out of the car, to tell if it is good. They have to be able to produce torque to spin the motor. It is possible that the solenoid will engage and the start motor spinns, but it is still bad. Take it to a bigger parts store and they can test it for you. If it fails, buy a new one, if it passes, buy a starter relay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts