Discussion Starter #1
I own a Nissan 240sx 1989 2 door

what is this!!?

a air pump or fuel pump of some sorts?

Any help is very much appreciated :) :eek3dance

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
i believe it is smog related. it mounts on the driver side of the engine bay right next to the end tank of the radiator. the two vacuum hoses are connected to the ports directly beneath the throttle body i think. the other bigger hose, connects to the larger vacuum port beside the three or four vacuum ports. btw the hoses i am referring to connect to the nipples at the top of the canister.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its a charcoal canister. Part of your emmisions system. As gas evaporates from your tank it goes into a hard line that then runs to that. It stores is while the car is off, and when your car is running it recirculates it back into the intake after its been all processed and shit. Get rid of it, take the ugly hard line of the fire wall and run a single vaccum line from the original hard line to the intake, and cap of the rest. UNLESS you live in a gay state or town where you have to have emmissions to pass. Then keep it. I got rid of mine and it makes the bay look alot cleaner :) BTW you should check out the FSM`s, they are alot of help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its all cool man. The FSM is the factory service manual. Kinda like a chiltons but a million times better. http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/general-tech/97674-get-your-fsms-here.html Read it, love it, loath it. It will answer most questions you have about your car.
Now back to the canister. Yes it is ok to bypass it. Your car will still run as long as you cap off all the vaccum lines.
BUT, if you need to pass emissions any time soon, or next year, or whatever I would suggest keeping it.

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Its a charcoal canister. Part of your emmisions system. As gas evaporates from your tank it goes into a hard line that then runs to that. It stores is while the car is off, and when your car is running it recirculates it back into the intake after its been all processed and shit. Get rid of it, take the ugly hard line of the fire wall and run a single vaccum line from the original hard line to the intake, and cap of the rest. UNLESS you live in a gay state or town where you have to have emmissions to pass. Then keep it. I got rid of mine and it makes the bay look alot cleaner :) BTW you should check out the FSM`s, they are alot of help.
took the words right out of my mouth +1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts