Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 90 240sx hb and it has the stock single cam motor im wondering if i should do the swap to a sr20 or go ka-t because ive been seeing that sr's are illegal in ca? keep in mind im fairly new to the 240 scene and would just like some guidance or opinions so i can make a better informed choice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 options:
Build the single - Legal
KA-T - Not so legal
SR - Just plain illegal
by build the single u mean like rebuilt it wit better parts to make it faster?
and the ka-t is not so legal? i mean if i got pulled over would i lose my car haha and the sr is illegal but do the think small city cops know a sr when they see one or do the chp jus noe them by look ? in ur opinion would it b worth it to get a sr i can proly get sum stuff i have several friends workin for a police/shieriff department

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Considering you'd have to rebuild the SR, it's not really more work.

No, you can't just "drop in" an SR right off the pallet.

Do what you want. If you "noe places" then go for it. Just don't complain if they won't, or you get busted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need for the attitude i was askin an opinion and o am leaning more towards a ka anyways smh so that begin said would a stock s14 engine fit into a s13 bay with lil to no mods?

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can't get away with much in California, at least not legally. You're pretty much limited to the following:

1. Complete swap of a later engine that meets California emissions. You must swap over all the later motor's emissions control items, including electronics.
2. CARB approved speed parts.

Since the SR20DET was never sold in the US, it wouldn't be legal to fit one in there - although theoretically you could put a non-turbo SR20 in there out of something sold in the US. Not sure why you'd do that. However, there's no rule in California requiring engine swaps to be Nissan or four cylinders - if you want a ton of power and California smog legality, you might want to wander over to the Hybrid forum for over the top engine swap ideas.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
No need for the attitude i was askin an opinion and o am leaning more towards a ka anyways smh so that begin said would a stock s14 engine fit into a s13 bay with lil to no mods?
I'll give the attitude...if you would have first searched this site and second, read the stickies that are at the top of the SR and KA section, you would have had all of your questions answered.
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/nissan-240sx-f-q/88-droppin-sr20det-240sx-really-safe.html
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/sr20det-engines/79832-sr20s-legal-read-here.html
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/ka24de-t-ka24e/110091-ka24de-upgrade-guide.html
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/ka24de-t-ka24e/60133-240sx-newbie-ka-tech.html
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/ka24de-t-ka24e/104043-how-build-your-ka24de-de-t.html
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/ka24de-t-ka24e/70491-turbo-ka-bible.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

well since u know it all you would know that this is a beginners section and that being said i wasnt yet familiar with the WHOLE search ish which u culd have jus informed me about and second the question was asked b4 i went to work and iwas tryna get a quick answer but its watever im not gunna sit here n argue with anyone i was tryna get help from so thanks for the links and ill keep wat u said in mind:gaah:

·
Registered
851 Posts
well since u know it all you would know that this is a beginners section and that being said i wasnt yet familiar with the WHOLE search ish which u culd have jus informed me about and second the question was asked b4 i went to work and iwas tryna get a quick answer but its watever im not gunna sit here n argue with anyone i was tryna get help from so thanks for the links and ill keep wat u said in mind:gaah:
I have to side with RLong normally when you join a new forum you read the stickies which are at the top of the section.

and if you read Nissan 240SX Forums - Announcements in Forum : Beginner’s Forum youd see that it tells you to look at the "help" stuff

Read the Help Section

Before you start asking questions regarding the forums, read through the Help section first. Many times you will find the answer there. Failure to do so may result in suspension of your posting privileges until you pass a test regarding the content of the TOS and help. THIS IS FAIR WARNING.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
This is the beginner section, no flaming. He's new here.
Reading the stickies is a good way to get answer to common questions most people have.
Welcome

I have to side with RLong normally when you join a new forum you read the stickies which are at the top of the section.
I have to side with; U-Rwong.

Most people dont read the stickies because they dont know what a sticky is. If you have a question about something your not sure about. Post it in the beginners section. If you post common questions in other sections 99 times out of 100 you will get flamed. Also try and use the search button before posting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
lol's, it really isn't that hard, and he even admitted that he just wanted a quick response meaning that he was lazy about it and just wanted someone to just give him the answers since they would already know so that the poster wouldn't have to search himself.

Anyways, I would go with a KA swap cause they're pretty okay engines to begin with and have alot of aftermarket support too. But what I personally would want would to get a VQ35DE swap and maybe bar or legalize it to get a v6 and more power lol's. Then again I'm new here too, jus got my 240 last month ;D

·
Registered
12 Posts
risks need to be taken to have fun! i would go with the sr just because i didnt have a clue as to what i was getting myself into going ka-t as far as engine management and building the engine for boost. you could have a fun sr without spending any money in those areas.. i suppose it all depends if you have to eat roman noodles for 2 years to build your car or if you have a more extensive budget

1 - 17 of 17 Posts