Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spend the last two mornings trying to get in contact with a couple cam manufacturers ( hks,toda,JWT and Tomei). So far no luck in getting a lot of information.

Im looking to see if anyone would know what the specs for HKS, TODA and Tomei cams in/ex haust in the 272 area ( 270-275 depending on manufacturer).

What Im trying to find is the degrees opening and closing also refered to as opening ramp and closing ramp.

So far the only anwser I have gotten is from a tech at jwt who took 15 minutes to find the info for me.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA OF WHAT THOSE SPECS WOULD BE. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

Thanks in advance
Dhohn

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doppleganger77.
I found that all out already, but I do appreciate the reply.

Im trying to find degree's opening and closing for the cams.

You can have two cams that have the same lift and duration. But can act completely different in a car, because of where the cams opening and closing degrees are.

I think its honestly one of those things most people dont even think about. Which is kind of sad considering how important it is. Well atleast depending how serious you are about making power and or trying to sqeeze every last drop out of your set up.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you are talking about cam timing it should be about the same with everycam. But really If thats what you are worried about you could get a set of adjustable cam gears and certainly optimize any cam you put in your engine.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What im asking is if anyone knows the opening and closing specs of the cam.

It has to do with what degree the cam actually opens and closes at 500 thousandths. Its something that isnt relative to timing it has to do with the way the cams are actually built.

You can take two 272 degree cams and their opening and closing degree will be different. It is also refered to as opening and closing ramp.

It can make a healthy difference in how the power is delivered inbetween two seperate companies cam shafts, again even with the same degrees duration.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I didnt know that would you care to elaborate? if it opens sooner or later it will be better??? I thought 272degree cams were open for 272 degrees. mabee one will have a steeper ramp to open faster???

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I havent been able to get ahold of any of the jdm companies. I was able to get the specs from Jim Wolf Technology and that was it.

I guess I figure with as much money that has and is going into this motor I would rather spend a little more time getting the best cams possible than just throwing in an aftermarket set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts