Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out what kind of turbo I have on my s14 blacktop its an IHI "spec"vh14", "part#" rhf5
but aside from knowing this I cant really find any other info on it, all I know is it looks like its about the same size as a t28 it spools at about 3200rpm @ 11psi and feels reasonably strong nothin too serious though but it does seem to not pull as strong in 3rd gear as it does in 1st-2nd it seems like its just not there as if it was pushing 6-7psi instead of 11 (not quite sure about that)

the only thing I know of thats tuning it is an apexi neo but oddly enough the car revs to 8000rpm but due to a knocking sound coming from the head that sounds like lifters I dont take it this high I think it might be chipped as far as I know the neo doesnt change the rev limiter *shrugs sholders*

when I bought the car (2 weeks ago tomarrow) the guy I bought it from said the vtc wasnt working and Im not sure if he meant it was broke or if it wasnt hooked up but I was wondering how I could check to see whether it is or isnt actually workin

I will update this as soon as I get off work my lunch break is up, but lots more to come...

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SER BADGE - Nissan altima
R33 Front end - Ugly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah in that pic it did have the se-r badge for who knows what reason when I bought the car the badge or the lip wasnt on it anymore I actually found that pic on this website but the old owner didnt post it so Im tryin to find some info about it and stuff like this:
"LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SER BADGE - Nissan altima
R33 Front end - Ugly. "

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so just the other day I was really stoked to find out that I had a set of tanabe surtec coilovers on my car I knew it was lowered but I jus figured it was some springs till I seen the peachy glow of the surtecs but then later on that evening I was pully out of my drive way and heard a metal on metal scrape and my car wobbled a bit, turns out the front strut had come completely out of the stut tower and was wobbleing around in my fenderwell!

I finally got in back in there now and headed to the tire store to today to pick up some freshy neo gens

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
nice buy how much was it...

the thing about the turbo lossing boost at higher gears is because thats what they do. its normall

·
Registered
219 Posts
minus the se-r badge that car is fuckin hot. and whoever thinks the r33 front is ugly is a fucking idiot...anyways, what makes you think the motor is fully built??? and as far as the noise from the head and the vvt not working, it could be a broken intake cam sproket

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well what makes me think it could possibly be a built motor is the fact that theres so many high dollar aftermarket mods makes me think why would they skip out on the internals... just to list what I know of on it is:

exterior: 19" volk racing rims, 5 lug conversion, R33 front conversion, nismo sideskirts & rear spats(I believe), 350z silver paint. (All of which was done by a proffesional shop Next Level Custom Rides)

performance: s14 black top, large fmic, apexi intake, HKS bov, megan exhaust manifold, IHI turbo, koyo radiator, all hoses & couplers are samco, greddy oil pan, RS-R exhaust, catco high flow, apexi neo (reving to 8k maybe a chiped ecu? Idk), very stiff clutch must be stage 3 or higher

suspention: tanabe surtec coilovers, (maybe sway bars too not really sure)

interior: now this is where the previous owners fell short - greddy grex shift knob, blue led bulbs instument gauge replacement, the worst lookin ebay steering wheel ever "type RS", glow shift gauges (quickly replacent with my autometer cobalts)

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
well what makes me think it could possibly be a built motor is the fact that theres so many high dollar aftermarket mods makes me think why would they skip out on the internals...
Because they spent all their money on exterior and bolt on mods.

You arent going to know for sure until you open the engine and if you start claiming everywhere its built with stronger internals and its not you may be in trouble if you sell it on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
if your think its fully built tear the engine out and put it on the stand flip it up side down and check it out . but a sr20det engine is good for 400 hp on stock internals with a good tune , people have pushed them further . A ihi turbo rhf are usually a t3 turbo found on the old ford t-birds and they were originally called warner ishi turbos , IHI are put on the new r35 gtr , i would also recommend pulling the valve cover and checking the valvs and seing what going on in side if your hearing noises dont chance it . Your investment is worth the time, money . Imo if you dont care enough to take care of it then you dont desrve to own it .

Really nice , clean looking car .

·
Premium Member
18,945 Posts
whoever thinks the r33 front is ugly is a fucking idiot...
Guess I'm a fucking idiot then...

To the OP, it would be my guess based on the mods you listed that the engine is not built. No reason to be, and Tanabe Coilovers are not top-of-the-line by ANY means. Check out Ohlins... Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah Im going to check out whats ticking tomarrow havent drove the car really for like a week had to get some tires first but now Im good to go and your right paulie Im not about to take any chances a tick now turns to a clang & rattle later and I dont like hearing sounds like that where theres moving parts turning at high rpm's

I jus dont understand why ppl will leave a reply just to diss about things that they dont like on someone elses car... :12dunno makes no sence to me, I mean when did I say that tanabe was the best out there? heck I was just happy to know I had some $1600 coilovers

all the bashing would make more sence if I was just on here patting myself on the back and trying to boast like "who hotter then me" or something but c'mon Im just digging for information and trying to get help an advice along the way

·
Premium Member
18,945 Posts
I wasn't bashing you about the coilovers... I was simply stating, that you shouldn't assume that an engine is fully built just because it has a set of coilovers on the car, especially when they aren't even the best money can buy. $1600? Really? Wow, I'm getting a set of custom built/valved Bilsteins for that. That's all I'm saying... And my guess is, as I said before, the motor is not built.

On a side note: This is a forum where all people are able to give their opinion without consequence. So don't be too hostel; it's going to happen now, and will probably happen again in the future. Just be aware of that... Just be glad this isn't at Miataturbo.net where members will eat you alive and the moderators do not care whatsoever and usually join in on the bashing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^oh yeah thanks good info :ibored

annnyways I had a slight rattle in the front turns out to be a strut tower mount the kyb replacements just arrived today so get that taken care of asap, I got a few minor issues that do need to be adressed like the driverside window & the sun roof not working, a few exterior blimishes, and the ticking noise I still have yet to look into but from my digging through posts it sounds like lifters.

so that brings me to my next question if I have to replace some lifters Im just going to go ahead and put stiffer valve springs, solid lifters and a set of cams in and I know this has been covered before but I want to know what setup would the "pros" use as far as cam/turbo selection went?

my rwhp goal is in the high 300 - low 400 range
and still making power to 8500-9k (I would be ok with 8500 or even 8 if the extra would saved me some low-end)

I want a turbo that will make this power fairly efficently whithout being at the verge of maxing out, thats why I was thinking of a gt30r perhaps? (I'd just like to reduce as much lag as possible)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
That car is pretty G man....I like the wheels most....I bet ol boy that put the badge on ment to put this one on but either couldnt find one or they were not worth the money (dont know how much they cost)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts