Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been driving it for a bit, one day it started getting a chatter sound as I accelerated above 2000 rpms. One day I had pulled up to a stop light, clutched it in, and when I took off it sounded super loud and obnoxious. I pulled over, then took off 30 mins later and after 3rd gear the car shut off and I got it towed.

Now when it starts it has a horrible sound like something is getting thrown around on the engine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Wow... not much to work with

Was there power loss while it was heading south?

It could be a pile of things.. need some more information.

will it start now?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Man, that would have had to been a serious clutch grenade! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well.
I doubt it's the clutch because it had been fine.

But it does start and when it does it sounds aweful.

I was told it could be a bearing... but I don't want to assume that to be it because that would suck.

So technically, between 2000 + rpms it use to chatter a little like a clicking lifter, then it went to a whole other level one day and sounded worse. It has been sitting for a week, I have no clue what I should do?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I had it taken to a mechanic, awaiting diagnosis.
Praying for an easy cheap fix.
You are dreaming...

"Took it to a Mechanic" and "Cheap Fix" don't go together.

B.O.H.I.C.A.

Bend
Over
Here
It
Comes
Again

·
Registered
658 Posts
That could be anything from a broken rod, to a broken cam gear. Most likely is a bad sensor... when a car has certain sensors out the ECU will run on a closed loop instead of an Open loop.. (varies on different cars) and when the ECU runs on a closed loop the ECU sets everything on a default setting... those are the most cases that I run into at work... but It could be a list of other things.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Dont run it anymore, I am guessing a timing chain issue

If it is a sohc
Pull valve cover and look down the front, where the timing chain is (you might need a flashlight). Is there a chain guide on the drivers side, or just 2 bolts sitting there? If it is gone you need a new timing set. You will have to pull the pan and pull all the crap out of it, because it will plug the oil pick up tube and cause further damage.

If it is a dohc, pull the valve cover and see if the top guide is still in one piece. The OEM ones break a lot, and they will bang off the timing chain and valve cover, but this would not cause the car to stop running

1 - 13 of 13 Posts