Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you may know i now have a semi-built KA. as of current my mods include-bored .039 over, aftermarket stock compression pistons, ported pollished head, I/H/E and a full engine rebuild. its not slow but im not satisfied. so i have decided i am going to turbo it. im looking for 250-300hp at the wheels but i dont want to dig back into the engine so i really dont want to go much further than that right now. im going to have around 2500 saved up for this project by july when i intend on doing it. so i have been preparing for the anticipated turbo build. i read the turbo bible so i have no real question on what i need however i was wondering what else will be required to manage the boost ie, cooling system upgrades, will it affect anything adversely i should be prepared for?

·
Another squid on a Gixxer
1,448 Posts
be prepared to change your oil twice as often. also, invest in a GOOD set of guages (not the cheap autometer crap).. you'll want to monitor an accurate air:fuel (not the crap a:f guage, a real wideband), boost, and fuel pressure at a bare minimum! also, as soon as the turbo is installed and the car is running again, get it tuned by a GOOD tuner! don't leave it to some "butt dyno" tuner who doesn't use proper equipment, or some backyard mechanic who thinks they know engines. the better your tune, the more reliable the car. lastly, whenever the car is running again, after the turbo install, start collecting pistons/rods ect ect for a built bottom end.. it's not a matter of IF the bottom end will fail, it's a matter of when.. just be prepared to build it whenever it does..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm thats got me a little discouraged, i just rebuilt it and i dont really want to dig back into it, mabe i should just keep it n/a for now, if i kept it in the 200-250 range would i be better off or should i just forget about boost it i dont want to rebuild for a while?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The stock cooling system is fine for 250WHP. Iv been turboed for about 4 years and my car has 150k miles on it and I havent had any serious problems.

·
240-kid
47,143 Posts
It all comes down to tuning, keeping your power low helps in less wear and longer life but because your adding more stress to the engine you should still take those pre cautions...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with 240-kid its all about tuning, if you have a bad tune your car wont last long at all. Just make sure you do your home work before you jump into it.

·
1,448 Posts
which is part of the point I made.. tuning is key to any setup. I've seen people with 1000+ hp capable setups, but don't make more than 700 because they don't have it tuned properly..

if you're on a fresh rebuild you should be fine for lower power levels.. just don't turn the boost up too much, and don't beat the shit out of the car.. the first thing to upgrade after boosting is gonna be the cooling system.. turbos generate a considerable amount more heat than a naturally aspirated motor. you'll also want to look into other "PM" mods, such as a beefy clutch, quality ignition system, quality fuel system. while they may not be 100% needed, I'm always extra cautious when it comes to building cars.. I'd rather go overboard and be safe, than be right at the limit of reliability.. sure, it's more expensive that way, but you've gotta remember, of the 3 words associated with modified cars, you can only pick 2. (Fast/Cheap/Reliable)

·
Registered
82 Posts
autometer=crap ?

·
1,448 Posts
the autometer stuff you find at the auto parts stores is crap, yes.. there's a handful of good guages they make, but I don't trust most of their stuff to be accurate.. Greddy guages have always proven reliable, and accurate for me. my old autometer boost guage was known to be off by about 3-4psi, depending on what mood it decided to be in that day.. and it was mechanical!!

·
240-kid
47,143 Posts
Greddy, HKS, Defi are the good ones I know that work very well...

Like they say, "You gatta pay, to play"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts