Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The "White Bunny Special" was first created and explained on FreshAlloy by member #18, s14turbose, the "white bunny" being his 98 S14 turbo SE. KA24's come stock with a 225mm clutch surface area, but using parts from other nissans allows you to run a 240mm clutch, which by logic gives you more tractable area for the clutch to grab onto thus reducing the chance of slippage.

We used the flywheel of a 1993 D21 Pickup(4 cylinder model), which is the standard flywheel to use because it carries the same crank bolt pattern as our cranks but is a 240mm flywheel. I believe any year will work, 87 being a common year people use but to play it safe use the 93 because I just installed one and it fit fine. There is also talk of lightened 240mm flywheels, but I have yet to see any that arent custom made.

Now the pressure plate and clutch disc are varied. We used the stock setup of the afor-mentioned 93 D21, but common clutches used are off the 280Z Turbo, the 300ZX Turbo, and the RB series clutches. You can use both aftermarket and stock as long as it is 240mm. But one rumor surrounding this special is the truck and 280Z clutch can hold balls of torque, some saying near 400ft/lbs and they still retain stock pedal feel and longer life than aftermarket clutches. I'm still searching for the answer, but I read it went on Mike Lee's T66 KAT, and it had no problems holding 500rwhp.

One very important point is that the 240mm clutch uses 9bolts to hold the pressure plate onto the flwheel, while your stock uses 6. Be sure to pick some up before you attempt this. Also, you'll have to break the small pin on the crank off to bolt up the flywheel, as it has no slot for it.

and of course here are the comparision pictures:

this is both setups(225mm and 240mm) set beside each other

here are the 240 flywheels, notice the O.D. is the exact same, but the surface area and bolt holes are different

the pressure plates... mmmm that just looks good

and of course the clutch discs

disc and plate

beefy!!!

flywheel bolted up

clutch disc on

pressure plate torqued down

And there you have it, the "White Bunny Special". I'll update this if any new information comes up, and of course details after tyler breaks this setup in and gets to go alittle hard on it. Hope this helps!

And before anyone asks about what the hell is sticking out of my crank, I'll let these pictures do the talking.

My home-made indestructible pilot bearing packer and clutch alignment tool. A trick learned from tylers and caseys uncle, who was a nissan tech for +14yrs, and has EVERY tool for EVERY problem, even systems for finding squeeks and rattles in your car.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
In this bish for hard driving impressions. Very sweet setup! Looks great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That was a fun day/night....the pics turned out really good

If u want to know the prices

I payed
Flywheel - Advanced - $77
Clutch Kit - Nissan - $113 (thats with my sweet hook ups):thumbsup
the normal price is around $150 + shipping

If u do go this way, when u start the car the first with the new clutch their might be a weird grinding/tapping noise when the clutch is pressed in. Dont worry about it just let car run in neutral for a few min. and the noise should go away.

As of now im still babying it, but it feels good:humper

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
so was that tranny gone or did you waste a good piece of tranny?

·
Registered
127 Posts
oh i got a spare tranny... loooks like daddy is gonna make somethin this weekend :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
how do you use the "system for finding squeeks and rattles" ...really need this one

·
Registered
629 Posts
what happened to my post

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update: Clutch is broken in and it grabs super hard, definitely well worth it.

so was that tranny gone or did you waste a good piece of tranny?
2nd gear syncro was out, was never going to rebuild it, but I may use it for spare parts.

how do you use the "system for finding squeeks and rattles" ...really need this one
its a small selector box with 6 different long wired microphones on clips coming out of it. the box has a selector for each mic and a set of headphones. you clip the mics to different sections of the car and drive as you switch between mics. keep repositioning them until you find the source

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
-ts a small selector box with 6 different long wired microphones on clips coming out of it. the box has a selector for each mic and a set of headphones. you clip the mics to different sections of the car and drive as you switch between mics. keep repositioning them until you find the source

called a chassis ear, they are damn awesome but noises can still elude them

·
Registered
325 Posts
thanks for the help of 240sxAddict install went very smooth

here a little more pictures and info for people who want to go this route

White bunny test video

after about 2 cans of brake cleaner still had 2more to go

as a result of not running my dust cover this happen. i thought it would help with cooling, but was I wrong..................yup

more size difference pics

tools used to remove old worn pilot bearing for act bearing

putting new setup on

the little bulge that you see at the bottom of the dust cover is what the flywheel will grind down. when the noise has stopped, you will be able to insert your bolts at the bottom of the bell housing. after that, more noise will sound for about 1 minute. after that your all go.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
awesome post! i'l be doing this next year when i start my motor rebuild!

·
Registered
179 Posts
bringing this one from the dead

i just got my flywheel today.auto zone ordered the wrong one and then they got it right the second time. but upon searching advance auto inventory. they have a 12lbs for 155 bucks

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=PIO&mfrpartnumber=FW151&parttype=267&ptset=A

Hey, sorry to bump this old thread back up. I was looking on that site and it doesnt have any specs on that flywheel. It doesnt even say its a light weight flywheel. Does anyone know how much it weighs? Also, how much do the stock d21 flywheels weigh? Thanks in advance for any help!!

George

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dont apologize for bumping the thread, I give rep to you for bumping an old tech thread instead of starting a new one.

we didnt weigh the new flywheel, but would venture to say its weighs the same as the stock one(being the same size and all), just different surface area for the clutch disk. as for the lighter one, I dont know. get in touch with biggamehit

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a question. Couldn't you just drill a hole in the flywheel for the little pin instead of breaking it off crankshaft?

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
do 300zx throwout bearing and pilot work?

or do i need to get the 240sx ones?
I dont know, if you're buying a clutch kit and are trying them let us know. if I had to guess the throwout bearing will should have the right inner diameter, as should the pilot, although I dont know if the pilot will fit nicely in the crank.

I also have a question. Couldn't you just drill a hole in the flywheel for the little pin instead of breaking it off crankshaft?
whats the point? the flywheel is balanced, leave it as is. and the pin wasnt even metal, and it served no purpose in our opinion. it was brittle and just snaped right off without even really trying.

instead of letting the flywheel grind down the bulge on the bottom of the dust cover, couldn't you just take it down w/ a grind wheel?

what throwout bearing do you use? one for the 280zx or the 240sx?
sure why not? i dont recomend letting the flywheel rub anything, hell we didnt even have the dust cover on our install. who cares, its just dust:greddy:

and we used the 240 bearings, but we also bought everything seperate straight from nissan. i dont know what else will work, perhaps I'll search later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts