Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, since i will be trying to get stationed in japan in the airforce soon, what all do you have to do to become legal to drive and etc, and are cars expensive there? and whats the deal with shipping the car back when I want to come home? anyone else done this ?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I think the military has a special privilage when it comes to driving in Japan, I think they may be exempt from taking the driving test in Japan. A friend of a friend is in the military and she says she didn't have to do anything. Cars driven by military personel will have a "Y" plate, while all the other plates in Japan are yellow or white.
So in conclusion, don't stress about it :)
(if you're really worried, just get a international drivers permit from AAA for 10 bucks, that will assure you a year of driving overseas)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, Silvia Ninja is right. You will have the right to own and operate a motor vehicle if you are E-4 or up. Your plate will be marked with a Y. Whick station are you going to? And about the E-4 and above that is for the Navy and Marine Corps. And in the Navy/Marine Corps their is a probation period before you can drive. Any discipline problems will prolong your wait. Just make sure when you get in country you put in a request to drive before you do anything and they will help you out from there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Oh yeah and you will have to take a class when you get in country. It is based on the different measurement system, courtesies and signs. It is pretty simple. If you end up in Kadena(Okinawa) I think you are aloud to drive when you get there because the base is pretty big and you might need a car to get to work.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Oh yeah and you will have to take a class when you get in country. It is based on the different measurement system, courtesies and signs. It is pretty simple. If you end up in Kadena(Okinawa) I think you are aloud to drive when you get there because the base is pretty big and you might need a car to get to work.

Hes right. You Airforce guys get licenses when you get on island. Cars aren't expensive either. Shipping is all you. You pay for everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts