Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My doors lock and work good but my key won't unlock them. I can get the key to start the car. I just have to play with it a little bit.

Any suggestions? Is there a way I can order a brand new key that's for my car from Nissan?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
yes you can, nissan sells a brand new key & tumbler set up for i think 200$. i also think they sell the locks for the doors as well. but what happens is our cars are old and when new keys get made they have nice crisp edges which our worn out tumbers dont really mesh with. so you have to jiggle it a little bit to get it to unlock & start the car. the ignition tumbler for my car was so worn out that the key would fall out if the ignition when i took a hard enough left turn.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I can get pretty much a lock replacement kit for my car for 200$?

·
Registered
423 Posts
You can go to the dealer and they will cut a key for you. They can look this up by the Vin. They might not be able to have access to the key code because of the age (those parts guys toss out the books), call around, if one doesnt, it is still possible another does. You could take it to a lock smith and they can file a key for you. Might be cheaper than $200

-Jason

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet thanks dudes!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
yes you can get replacement keys, but thats not the problem. the tumbler in the ignition is worn out & so when you get a new key made whether it be a factory replacement or one you get made at the locksmith it is still not going to match the tumblers in the ignition on the car cuz they are worn out. our cars are pretty old and have taken a lot of abuse from god knows how many owners. so thats why i say get a new 1. besides once the 240 keys get worn down a lil bit similar cut keys from other 240's will be able to work on your car. before i replaced mine i could unlock & start my car and my buddy's 240. for me it was just a lil added theft insurance knowing ONLY my key can start my car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i'll call my local nissan and see what prices are. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts