Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Nissan 240sx hatch
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo yo what’s up guys so I have a 1990 s13 pretty stock other then the cold air intake. So I’m on the highway Nd when I get to 6th gear Nd I’m cruising not even goin 80 or just dies out like it don’t turn off it just loses power for couple seconds drops speed fast Nd then it catches back up Nd I can accelerate again. Does anyone know what that can be?

·
Registered
1990 Nissan 240sx hatch
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yo yo what’s up guys so I have a 1990 s13 pretty stock other then the cold air intake. So I’m on the highway Nd when I get to 5th gear Nd I’m cruising not even goin 80 or just dies out like it don’t turn off it just loses power for couple seconds drops speed fast Nd then it catches back up Nd I can accelerate again. Does anyone know what that can be?

·
Super Moderator
1,980 Posts
Check your MAF sensor as well as knock sensor.
My brothers car started with that before it eventually started to die on him. Car would stutter, lose power, and die. It would stay off for like an hour and then finally start. We changed those two items and never had the problem again.

Could be a dirty MAF or just needs a new knock sensor. Ours was cracked.

·
Registered
1990 Nissan 240sx hatch
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your MAF sensor as well as knock sensor.
My brothers car started with that before it eventually started to die on him. Car would stutter, lose power, and die. It would stay off for like an hour and then finally start. We changed those two items and never had the problem again.

Could be a dirty MAF or just needs a new knock sensor. Ours was cracked.
Thank you bro appreciate you taking ur time to reply I thought I would never get a reply lol. I’m guna look into that now thanks again 💪🏽

·
Super Moderator
1,980 Posts
No worries man.
I'm not familiar with the S13 too much but look into whether you have a consult plug. It would be right above the fuse panel on the drivers side. It's a square connector; Nissan used it as their "OBD1" plug. If you buy a consult cable, you can hook it up to a laptop and read codes from it. There is also the method of reading the flashing red lights from the actual ECU. This will atleast tell you where to start looking if you have any codes stored.

The other thing I would check is if you have a clogged fuel filter. If you haven't done it, I would recommend just doing it. The Z32 fuel filter is a nice upgrade for cheap. We also did a new oem fuel pump with the sock filter too.

These cars are pretty fun to drive even in stock form.

·
Registered
1990 Nissan 240sx hatch
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries man.
I'm not familiar with the S13 too much but look into whether you have a consult plug. It would be right above the fuse panel on the drivers side. It's a square connector; Nissan used it as their "OBD1" plug. If you buy a consult cable, you can hook it up to a laptop and read codes from it. There is also the method of reading the flashing red lights from the actual ECU. This will atleast tell you where to start looking if you have any codes stored.

The other thing I would check is if you have a clogged fuel filter. If you haven't done it, I would recommend just doing it. The Z32 fuel filter is a nice upgrade for cheap. We also did a new oem fuel pump with the sock filter too.

These cars are pretty fun to drive even in stock form.
Thanks again bro now I know what to look for really appreciate it 👌🏽

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey bud. I have a 91 ka. What you describe sounds much like a situation I was in. It would randomly bog down and loose power. I had to drive conservatively because I didn’t know if I would have the ass to overtake/pull out in front of someone.

My issue was found to be a faulty fuel injector. I replaced all of them and never had another hiccup.

It sounds like to me you have an intermittent misfire. misfires are caused by a multitude of reasons. If you could get it to act up at idle, you can pull the plug wires one at a time to isolate what cylinder is missing.( The idle won’t change discernibly when you pull the wire off the plug with the missing cylinder.) Hopefully this gets you on the right track. Best of luck, see ya around the corners.

·
Registered
1990 Nissan 240sx hatch
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey bud. I have a 91 ka. What you describe sounds much like a situation I was in. It would randomly bog down and loose power. I had to drive conservatively because I didn’t know if I would have the ass to overtake/pull out in front of someone.

My issue was found to be a faulty fuel injector. I replaced all of them and never had another hiccup.

It sounds like to me you have an intermittent misfire. misfires are caused by a multitude of reasons. If you could get it to act up at idle, you can pull the plug wires one at a time to isolate what cylinder is missing.( The idle won’t change discernibly when you pull the wire off the plug with the missing cylinder.) Hopefully this gets you on the right track. Best of luck, see ya around the corners.
Man I thought I was the only one lol it would happen randomly didn’t matter wat speed I was going. But thank you guys so much Man U guys are truly hero’s on here. Now I definitely know where to start looking at Nd hopefully I can figure it out thanks brotha appreciate ur time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check your TPS (throttle position sensor) voltage at wide open, if it just seems like its shutting off and its not bucking, that doesn't sound like a fuel injector. I've had a injector go out at highway speed and it felt like a spark plug fouled or a plug wire fell off, it ran really bad and bucked, then it would trim back out. If the shutdown it smooth, then comes back, sounds like a electrical problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts