Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, i have been lurking around thie site for a while now. Guess it's time to start my build thred. Nothing major for right now. I am currrently working a part time job as a janitor in a nursing home, so i have no money after all my monthly bill's and the girl-friend. I still manage to find money for my s13 somehow...

1990 nissan 240sx coupe
138,876 miles
A/T

Bone stock and unmolested besides the damn holes someone cut in the trunk panel for 6x9's

Sorry if these are hard to see, im a big night person... but here is some picture's of it the first day i got her...

And about 3 hours after that.....

So, about a week after i got the car the A/T went out. I got extreamly lucky and had a great friend willing to loan me the money for the 5 speed parts i needed. I picked up pretty much everything for about $200 and that is what im doing currently along with some other little thing's.

Some picture's...

My buddy tring to get the A/T pilot bearing off of the puller tool. I tried but after an entire day and a night of tring to get that son-bitch out i was too excited and couldn't. Hahaha.. NOtice his big ass smile. We then procided to catch it on fire. I have a piture of that somewere too.

The car is currently sitting in my garage in the same shape it is in that picture above. Im waiting on my check, get paid tommarow.... So more picture will be up shortly!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So... Decided to go ahead and repair a few thing's while the car is down.

The lifters were ticking pretty bad when it was running and i just checked to prices on new lifters (Holy hell)... so im going to rebuild mine. I know for sure 2 of them are seized, and 2 others look pretty bad. Look's simple but for the life of me i cannot seem to figure out if you need to get a kit and replace the internal's or if you just bleed them all and call it a day. From the looks and sounds of it you just bleed your exsisting lifters and call it a day, but i just wanted to see if anyone has ever done this and if anyone has anything more informative than the nicoclub write-up.

Also, after taking the valve cover off i discovered amung other things that the right timing guide was broken in half. I have a brand new guide for a DOHC and just wondering if the guides are the same for the SOHC. They look the same, but once again... Just wanted to make sure.

Also, im thinking to just re-doing the timing here in the next few month's. Does anyone have a kit that they would swear by? Aftermarket or OEM? Im wanting to find a kit that has metal guides but i have heard horror stories about metal guides and that its better to stick with plastic. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Honestly, given the ease of the DOHC swap, and the ease of finding a running, good condition DE, I would just get the DOHC power steering lines, and swap the DE in and call it a day. You could re-build the DE beforehand, but I would just stick it in there. You can come across a good running DE for around 300, and sometimes even less.

Where are you located at? You might could find a member close to you that has an extra E head lying around that might get rid of it for around free.99 and then you could change the timing belt at the same time (no pun intended).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Had a DE and hated it. Love the Single over the dual... Just like the way it feel's alot better. the DE felt alot smoother due to the better flowing coolent and oil passage, and head for that matter but it felt more HP orieanted and less tourqy. I like tourqe. :) I have re-built a DOHC but never got it running due to the timing and that's right when i lost my house and have to move and sell almost everything i owned. That's why i was asking about the timing in the SOHC... Im scared of it seeing as how it is my DD right now.

I am located around the dayton area and it seem's that there aren't many of us dayton people on the forum's. all the local 240 guys seem to be obsesed with drifting so they crush their SOHC's and then there are no part's for me :( , oh and plus they all want around 500-600 bones for DOHC's with shit timing, bent valves and spun bearings. It's about retarded... Oh and I figured out the lifter thing. The information was in there im just an idiot and skipped over it.

I want to keep the single cam in the car for now and just really clean it up. I will eventually get a better job, and then i will get a DD and begin ripping into this s13 like my old hatch. I had to loose my project s13 hatch, move out of my house into a rental and sell everything i had minus a box full of parts and all my tools because i lost my fucking job. Now i have a 90 s13 coupe currently without a tranny, and work part time as a janitor... Hahaha. I still manage to find money here and there to put into the car though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, given the ease of the DOHC swap, and the ease of finding a running, good condition DE, I would just get the DOHC power steering lines, and swap the DE in and call it a day. You could re-build the DE beforehand, but I would just stick it in there. You can come across a good running DE for around 300, and sometimes even less.

Where are you located at? You might could find a member close to you that has an extra E head lying around that might get rid of it for around free.99 and then you could change the timing belt at the same time (no pun intended).
I just caught that and i am officialy confused... No timing belt... Bicycle chain!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I just caught that and i am officialy confused... No timing belt... Bicycle chain!
Belt, chain, same thing. I'm not thinking too hard right now. And it's just slightly beefier than a bicycle chain.

Yeah, I would definitely look into downloading the Factory Service Manual from this site if you haven't already. It should be stickied in the tech section or something like that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
lol who needs a owners manual lol pointless......lol nah im just messin yea they come in very very handy like the car dude, nice.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've had that thing for a while now (FSM)... it's been a tad bit helpful but google is honestly better than the FSM to me. It is fun to read though! Haha...

Im bored, so figured i would post a few pictures of the old hatch... I miss it! I don't have any picture of the boosted DE in the bay because the day after i put the damn thing in i was laid off without warning... : ( I also didn't take alot of pictures of the car, and i wish i would have seeing as what happened. Oh well, i will take too many pictures of this coupe! Well, here yah go...

Best picture i have of the car and it's not even the whole damned thing!

After a bit of front end work....

When i got the spare DOHC i planned on boosting, Exhaust mani and turbo fitted already...

The snail that was on it...

Mid rebuild

Wheel-well before i put the covers back in...

The backroad wheels

The crusing wheels... Hehehe

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2nd wheel's?
Konig tantrum 17's...

The first wheel's?
I honestly never knew... Got them off a buddy's G/F's honda for 75 bones... threw on some tires and they worked.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, attempting to re-load bigger pictures to photobucket i found more pictres of the old hatch! Yes! Well, pretty sad now that i think about it... Enjoy... I know i did. :(

Here are some body shots... Not in any order. Some are of the car around when i first got it. Some are like 2 years into it.

Better picture of the ka24de-t almost done... Juts had to switch out the timing covers. I just reared up a little... :(

Interior!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gone... :(

Sorry guys and gals but i will NOT post a mod list for the hatch. Im almost crying as it is...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, after being entertained by the 09 undisputed demo for a week or so im back to messing with this thing. Im still stuck with the lifter problem.

I still am not getting if you just pull them off and drown-bleed them or if you have to re-build them with new little internal peices and then bleed them. Im guessing you just bleed them, but i've guessed before and been wrong. Can anybody bakc me up here and give me some confidence? Haha

If you jsut bleed them then WTF is the point in taking them apart? Just to lube the internal's up better? I've read over the nicoclub write up 20 times and im still confused. Any help guys and gals?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Can you post a link to the nicoclub write up? I never go on that site, but would be willing to read over it to see if I can help you. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Im bored so here's a little tiny update. Turns out advance auto gave me the wrong size bearing and i went through 2 weeks of shit before i figured it out. Finally got everything worked out and got the tranny back in. Did i mention im using the same tranny parts that were on my old hatch? :) Yes, even the clutch that probabaly had 150,000 miles on it.

After looking the motor up and down while i was tring to figure out the tranny thing i happened to notice that it wasn't just the top half of the guide that was broken, but the whole thing. (Tensioner side) So, im getting ready to order the new guides and the tensioner thursday. Everything else in there looked ok to me. So come to find out it's my chain making all that noise hitting the timing cover and not my lifters after all. I thought it was wierd that it only did it when the car was revved fast, and not so much when it built revvs slower. that is my next weekend project and then MAYBE i can start actually building the thing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So... Another update and this one pisses me off. Dug into the front half of the motor last night and finally after 2 hours got the timing cover off. BTW the guide on the right in the picture (the tensioner side), was the one that was broken and completley gone besides the hex bolts. The new one is on there in the picture.

Yea!!!! Right? Throw in the new guide and put it all back together. NO......

First off, the chain had ate threw the coolent passage, which i expected it to have a bit seeing as how it was doing this when i bought the car, so there was no telling how long they drove it like that. The chain did not eat all the way through, but there was maybe a half mm of aluminum left, so that was the first problem.

So, after being pissed about that and thinking, Jb weld and grind on it, clean it out real nice and walla i noticed this.

Then i said Oh noe... Walked over to the car, looked down on the block and seen this still bolted on, so i took it off and threw it real hard.

So now i need a new cover. 2 wrongs are tring to tell me something, so i might as well make it right, Ehy?

I don't know if i did that ( I pulled the cover off with my hands so i doubt i did it) but i wouldn't think the car would pur at 800 RPM if that was even cracked like that enought for me to be able to pull it off. (Im not that big of a guy) Maybe i did, maybe i didn't... Oh well... It's done so now im hunting down a new cover and while im at it im going to clean up a few things again while im in there. This thing is getting uber clean as i go along.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts