Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up yall, i got a lot of mixed reviews for maako paint jobs. well this is my condition
i have a rps with a horrible sunfaded cherry red pearl, what i am tryin to do is just re-do the paint so it looks new, you kno.
how would it be if i take it to maako and just have them do cherry red pearl.
i heard they dont take the old paint off, which i can do myself, but how is their paint job. i am not tryin to win any shows here, just daily driving.
thanks

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
had my car rapainted cherry pearl red at a maaco back about a year and a half ago. total 480.00. I recommend the value prep and the second step up paint job, i think the cheapest is the presidential, you don't want that. make sure to also get clearcoat. whatever the cheapest is, it's better than not having one at all. they do a decent job, i can atleast say that, expect a little overspray unless you decide to cover everything yourself.

I may have a pic i can show you of my car. i since then got in a little fender bender and have a miss colored from bumper..

·
Registered
221 Posts
The majority of a good paintjob is prep, prep, and more prep. Shooting paint is cake unless it's some exotic color. But hey, anything is better than another primer 240. haha

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
one of my friends did all the prep him self and got a presidential from them and it turned out preaty good. i would tape off key spots just so they dont over spray on them. i would tape off places like the mirrors, side markers and tail lights (or even take them off).

a orbital sander and a bunch of sanding pads cost aunder $50. so preping your self dosent cost that much, i would just do it my self. just take off the clear coat, dont go through the color.

·
Registered
374 Posts
maaco does ok...its just depends on how much money you have to spend on the amount of work you get on it

·
Registered
108 Posts
yea my car is painted Daytona Blue Metallic by maaco. Did a great job. Just depends on how much you want to spend. They usually work with you on price too. My original quote was like 2200, but we got it down to 1700..

·
SLO-S13
4,454 Posts
As long as you do your own prep you should be good. If I don't paint my car myself I'll be finishing the prep and sending it to Maaco with the bumpers and doors removed and everything masked off already.. Gotta love having AAA heh.

·
Registered
764 Posts
oh, btw, mine cost $500 but I did all the prep work myself aside from taping everythign off. I got no overspray either but they didn't mask off my intercooler (that was actually a pleasant suprise though because now it's ultra stealth).

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
andrewmp6 said:
yeah dont buy a cheap paint job it will peal off in 6 months
Prep work keeps the paint on the car. As long as its clean as the paint goes on everything will be fine. Slight orange peel always happens, but not usually on any body panel you will see.

·
Registered
263 Posts
not a bad thread for a CHEAP paintjob, specially for the people who DONT have "friends or whatever" that know how to paint, and dont care about a show quality paintjob, just something decent =/

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
if u do a good job on the prep work u should be good to go. if u can get a hold of a gun and compressor thats even better. laying on paint is easy. the clear coat on the other hand is pretty tricky. it drys very fast and its easy to get spots that build up which leaves foggy spots. make sure u have a VERY well lit area to paint in. just remember that the higher grit sand paper u use means more surface area for the paint to adhere too. i did the rear hatch, metal garnish below the taillights, and the rear bumper on my car shown in my sig.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts