Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

Tried to do a quick search on here, but putting starting/starter into the search brought a S#$tload of stuff up.

I have a 91 240Sx, the initial start is fine, always has been, started once a day to run it until I got it on the road last week. Today I ran multiple errands, 2nd and 3rd starts were Ok, the 4th sounded like if was a difficult one. Got the car home, turned it off, and then tried starting it a 5th time...dead, just clicked. I walked away for 45 min to an hour, came back, tried the car again and it started? WTF?

The battery is brand new, alt/starter is likely original, 135,000 KM 5 speed. I have noted the temp on this car warms up fast, but never moves beyond mid range on the gauage. Ideas anyone?

Thanks, Rampton

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
your brushes in the start are burnt up. & thats why you are having the slow starts. the starter itself is not that hard to change out. there is one wire to disconnect, it is connected to a post on the starter & fastened with a nut, i think it is a 12mm. & the starter is mounted to the trans w/2 long 14mm bolts. but the bolts are put in so that they screw into the threads that are on the starter. it is kind of a pain in the ass, but def doable. if you dont hav time to change it right away, & want 2 gamble on it starting, just carry a hammer w/ya & a couple firm taps on the body of the starter will get it start usually. but i just found out that you can buy the brushes for the starter from nissan & you can rebuild your starter yourself. that is, as long as the gear on the starter isn't rounded over from trying to start the car when it is already on too many times.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Actually sounds a lot like something that my car does. It will only do it every now and again. But before I changed the battery terminals it would do like what you're talking about. One question though. When you push the break, does your stereo turn itself off then back on? If it does then your car is doing what mine was. Take a volt meter and test your battery connection. It could be that. If not, try your starter next.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not brake/stereo issues

Hey there,

I don't have any issues touching the brake and having the stereo go out, so perhaps we can eliminate that one...K I'll try the starter...

Thanks, Rampton

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved...

By the looks of the starter when I took it out, it's been going for a while...let's just say it looks like it was tapped several times before...obviosuly an issue for the previous owner...

Remanned starter and a few a hours of time...fixed for about $100.00.

Thanks, Rampton

1 - 5 of 5 Posts