Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My carb'd KA24DE in a s13 *update, heads off, pics!*

I just picked this guy up on the cheap, $800. FL car recently brought up to NY. Guy I bought if from said it overheated, I havent had a chance to fiddle with it yet but snapped some shots when I got it home. Pretty cool and rare set up for the s13s (few Datsun guys have done it, they love their Webers!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good ole Weber DCOE's, nice carbs but I would get real filters for them. Looks like they used a stock intake and welded on the Weber attatchment parts. It should make more power on top end if its set up right, may want to do a rebuild on the carbs to.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Wow.. that's different

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This set up was intended for autocross use, so that's where I'm headed. The carbs, just like the ITB conversion, allows for a much greater throttle response, you get more power and torque down low, basically spin tire as you hit the throttle. From what I read I'm not assuming its going to get me much gain at the top end, basically the tq/hp curve starts higher at the low rp (say 130hp at 2k rather than 80) but who knows.

Once it warms up here in NY I'm going to have the car painted, chassis is 100% (you NEVER see that up here) Going to swap my dash from my DD, another 91 240 thats uncracked. Just picked up a digital cluster for $50 bucks. Put my current tranny in this guy, the one in it feel loose. Puck style clutch is on its way and I should be good to go. I may have time to try and fire this guy up tonight, been so busy lately. The radiator had a crappy patch job, and I'm sure the car will start right up *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whelp, I cleaned up the bay, pulled the mechanical fan, radiator,coolant overflow tank (do all southern 240s have brittle tanks? this thing just crumbles when I touch it) and tried to start it up,

....buuuut it seems seized. I'll take a breaker bar to it this weekend :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any pictures of the rest of the car?

Has it seen any event usage or was more or less built then sold?

I'm interested in the suspension...because not too many have quite figured out 240SX suspension for the short course.

I wonder if that gaping hole in the coolant overflow tank might have anything to do with the overheating issue? Kind of hard to keep coolant in the system when it vents to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Car was running when it was sold by the person who did the conversion to the guy I got it from.

I didnt get it started, the engine isnt seized, it is getting spark, but doesnt seem to be getting enough gas. Pump works fine, regulator is fine, just not enough to the cylinders. Edit: It DID fire a few times, just not enough to sustain itself.I'm gonna find an oldschooler to look at the carbs :thumbsup

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Thats bad ass dude. When I get the time and money I'd like to carb my SOHC. I've always like carburetors to F.I., there just much easier to work on and usually cheaper.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
is it getting fuel?

You mentioned you have spark. I'd shoot some starter fluid down the carb throats and try to start it.

Remember, there are carbs, NOT fuel injection. FI has a program for the start sequence until the engine reaches a programmed temp.

Carbs are at the mercy of the Jet size, and Venturi size... so they can be more difficult to start.

Do they have a choke on them (auto or manual)? The choke limits the air intake to make the Fuel/Air rich to add in engine warm-up.

Are you getting gas through the jets? Has the car been run recently (before you got it), Jets are prone to gum-up from old gas sitting in them.

You may need to hold the throttle open a bit while cranking it over to get it to start.

Keep us posted.

Check the internet, or jump on a Z-Car forum, those guys deal with side drafts a lot more than your normal 240SX guy ;)

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
that, and did you pick it up from a different elevation? you gotta re-jet carbs when moving drastic elevations, to keep it running right

and when you do get it running let me know how the cars perform under g load. i know a lot of guys that used the SR5's had problems with the fuel going to one side of the carburetor and shit like that, im interested to see if that happens with yours

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Current status: Speculation of low or no compression. Had to pick up a compression tester when i left work today but couldnt use it, had to run to the Black label/Sevendust concert, which was :rockerdud

So when you turn an engine over, before its running on its own, the motor shakes.This is due to compression in the cylinders. This one is damn near still. By myself I couldnt tell if the motor was even turning, but belts/crank pully are spinning away. Also, when I have a ratchet to the crank bolt, its very easy to spin,little to no resistance. It should be easy/hard/easy/hard every time it goes through a compression cycle.

We'll see. I'm scoping out another block now regardless. In time my friends :supercool

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shot some oil down the cylinders,

Cyl1- 0psi
Cyl2- 0psi
Cyl3- 0psi
Cyl4- 30psi woo hoo!

Pulled the timing chain cover, everything looks A-ok. Whoever had this car before me did a number on it for sure. So, new block, here I come

·
Registered
241 Posts
aww bummer man i'm looking forward to it!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
1 - 20 of 86 Posts