Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on the search for a Full Suspension bike something decent, after a bit of searching I came to find the Giant Trance bikes, at first I was looking at the 2008, but the more I looked at the 2005 model the more I fell in love with it. So I searched and search and came across a ad on Craigslist for $400.00 After talking with the seller I decided to purchase it.

When I received the bike it was in beat condition, dirty as hell and needed a lot of love. I spent 3 hours cleaning the bike since the previous owner didn't really wash it or maintain it. Got everything together and took it to the shop to get a tune and have it running properly.

Shop tuned it best they can and took it out for a spin. I wasn't expecting much since most of the parts needed replacing anyways but it rode beautifully, had a bit of shifting problems. After a few months roll by I started to get agitated with the shifting problems and chain skip problem that all of sudden started. I had plans to strip the bike and powder coated it since it had a bit of cable rub through the paint. While I would strip the bike I would get parts. 1 thing let to another and I practically decided to rebuild it completly.

I purchased new Suspension Pivot Bearings from Enduro Maxx, headset bearings Stainless Steel, new Race Face Deus/Atlas Bottom Bracket, new SRAM PG-990 Cassette, New SRAM PC-971 Powerlink chain, New SRAM X-7 Shifters, New SRAM X-9 Rear Derailleur, New seals for the Fox Float R, New bushings and reducers for the Fox Float R, received a Hand Me Down Fox Vanilla fork. I had a buddy of mine custom make me some Vinyl Decals so I can make the bike my personal 1 of a kind.

When I stripped the bike I was originally gonna powder coat it white, as I was preparing the bike and stripping the paint, I came to love the Brushed Aluminum look. After playing with Photoshop I decided to leave the aluminum raw and let it naturally oxidize to protect the aluminum. With the money saved from powder coating I took that money and bought a few of the parts mentioned above.

The Bike is not finished yet, I'm waiting on a few parts to arrive before it can be taken on the trail but for the most part it's almost ready. Hope you enjoy the build.

SPECS:

2005 Giant Trance 3
Fox Vanilla 125
Fox Float R (Rebuilt)
Race Face Evolve XC Crank
Race Face Deus/Atlas Bottom Bracket
Bontrager Rhythm Elite Wheelset with DT Swis Hubs 26"
Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 26"x2.1" Front and Rear
SRAM X-7 1:1 ESP 3x9 Speed Shifter Set
SRAM X-9 1:1 ESP 9 Speed Rear Derailleur
SRAM PG-990 11-32 9 Speed Cassette
SRAM PC-971 Powerlink 9 Speed Chain
ACB 36x45 Stainless Steel Bearing headset
Shimano Deore Front Derailleur
Easton Monkey Lite CT2 600mm 150g 25.4 Carbon Fiber Handle Bars
Easton Ghetto Seatpost
Easton Ghetto Stem
ODI Lock Grips
WTB Speed-V Saddle

Pics:

Before:

After:

Parts:

Some of the pieces needed new life such as the rockers and bolts. I stripped them to get ready for powder coating. I decided to do a wrinkle black, I've always liked the way wrinkle black comes out when I powder coat parts in it. I think it sets the bike nicely.

The bike should be ready next week as more parts come in through the week. Hope you enjoy my build and will post pics wen its ready.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Very nice. I must agree with that Aluminum finish. It looks very clean.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, got my rear derailleur in, had the bottom brackets installed, had the cassette installed.

Today was a slow day so I painted the the Giant logo on the head tube.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
As you know, I really don't know anything about mountain bikes at all. But those gears look fucking sexy.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
sweet colorcombo, i need some new parts already, my forlk is like mashed potatoes... sweet sram shifters too...mmm

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those big pedals you see are Crank Brothers Mallet C, they are clipless and platform. However i'm not using those. Im using Crank Brothers Egg Beaters.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
crank bro's the shit, i just like the platform/clipless set up for those not so aggrssive days

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sweet bike but why do you jack off to pumas so much?

I've been rocking Pumas since I was 6. Thats almost 20years of brand loyalty. Puma King is a nickname that I've had since middle school, that was like 10 years.

Also Im a moderator on the Puma forums as well :p Im trying to get them to start doing stuff in Mountain Biking as right now they're stuck in Road Biking.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
so puma, what do you do for a living? sling pot? cause with all the cash you drop on powder coating, bikes, and puma gear, you must do something impressive.... or mommy and daddy front you the cash! rofl

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so puma, what do you do for a living? sling pot? cause with all the cash you drop on powder coating, bikes, and puma gear, you must do something impressive.... or mommy and daddy front you the cash! rofl

I work for the City of Boca Raton, in recreations. I make $11/hr. With Powder Coating I make about $30-$60/hr. Powder Coating helps a lot. Also Im a smart shopper, place like Puma Outlet. Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx tend to have Puma stuff for dirt cheap especially Puma Outlet.

And no Mom and Dad dont pay for anything, I pay part of the rent, cable, electric bill, car payments, insurance, and other expenses.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
it was just a joke mang, i figured you would know that by now.

do you powder coat anything you can get your hands on these days?

its obvious there is talent there, and you may want to look into steampunking...there is some good money to be made there.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More goodies arrived, got new front Derailleur Shimano SLX, new race face spidle spacer/seal kit. Put the tires on and chain. Waiting for the seals for the Fox Float R rear shock and get it tuned.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So my bike is nearing completion. I broke down and bought new Hydraulic Brakes. Avid Elixir R with 165mm Rotors all around. The Hayes Sole are past its days of riding. The bike shop still hasn't received the Fox Seals for my rear shock, just waiting on that and I'll be able to finally start riding again, so far its been about 3 weeks since I started, hopefully the $$$ and work will be worth it.

New brakes. $$$$

1 - 20 of 26 Posts