Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 1: 10/06/01 (Monday)

I got the crate in at my friends shop and we took it apart and loaded it up with a fork lift. I took pretty much all night to take it apart and load both mine and my buddies up in two trucks and take them back to our garages.

The motors look like they are in good condition. A little dirty and corroded, but can be cleaned up. Everything seems to be there and in good condition.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 2: 10/06/01 (Tuesday)

** Due to my friends and my work schedule, we only have 6-7 hours to work on it each week day.

On day 2, I head over and start to take the motor apart, eliminating the air conditioning condenser and the bracket, probably saving me a good 15lbs. I then start to take off the valve covers finding out that the head is in perfect shape.

We then start taking off the intake manifold, turbo and exhaust manifold heat shields and timing belt/ cam gear cover to clean them. After everything is off we examine the motor to find out that everything is in really good condition. Turbo has no shaft play and spins freely.
We then take the oil pan off, since it is a little dented on the bottom. Other than that there were no metal shaving in it what so ever.

We finish up taking everything off of the motor that need to be cleaned up and load it up in my car, so we can sand blast in the next day.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Day 3: 10/7/03 ( wednesday)

I get to my friends shop around 6pm and bring all the parts that we took off the motor the night before. We then start the sand-blasting process, which took us two hours to finish sand-blasting and power washing all the parts. I then stop by the parts store on the way back to the garage and pick up spark plugs and try to match up the belts. They only had one of the two belts in, the other one is going to be here this Friday. Once I get back to the garage I start to clean up the head and the block with break cleaner and a brush. It worked alright, but will need some more effort. We then took the oil pan and scraped the silicon off of it. Once that was done we tried to undent the oil pan where the oil-pickup is located, after 30min. of banging we finally made it work. I then sprayed the oil pan out with some brake cleaner and then spray it out with an air hose. After that was finished we re-silicon the pan and put in back on the block.

Today after work we will hopefully start the swap. I still need to put everything back on the motor and then we can start taking the KA out (cross- member and everything) then bolt the RB and the cross-member up and it will be in. We have a hydraulic lift and a four wheel dolly so that should make it really easy. Once that is in I can then measure the driveshaft distance and take the measurements up to the driveshaft shop and get that made.

·
Registered
352 Posts
omaha ne... ur right beside me..wichita, ks... hey arent u the guy that bought from racinghard or whatever that malaysian place is called with all the controversy over it... sounds like things turned out good... damn... rb25... u lucky bastard... how much did u spend on the clip??? how much u plan on spending for the complete swap with clip, install components, custom driveshaft, mounts,ect everything said and done???? hope things turn out good for u.. o yea, what is the other rb25 going into??

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
igotswansons said:
omaha ne... ur right beside me..wichita, ks... hey arent u the guy that bought from racinghard or whatever that malaysian place is called with all the controversy over it... sounds like things turned out good... damn... rb25... u lucky bastard... how much did u spend on the clip??? how much u plan on spending for the complete swap with clip, install components, custom driveshaft, mounts,ect everything said and done???? hope things turn out good for u.. o yea, what is the other rb25 going into??
Yes I am the one that bought two RB25 front clips from RacingHard.com, it was never really a horror story, people just tried to start some false rumors. I never had any problem with RacingHard throughout the process. I am sorry about not posting any pictures yet, I am really busy on doing the swap. I pretty much wake up go to work Mon-Fri until 4pm and then go straight over to my friends garage and work on my car until 1-2am and then go home and go right to bed since I have to wake up at 6:30am.
When I get on this board it's always when I am at work, so I really haven't had any time to upload the pictures yet. I will have time this weekend.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 4: 10/10/03 (Thursday)

I get off of work at 5pm and then head over to my friends house around 6pm. Once I get there we call up a few friends to see if they will come over and help. Once they get over then we split up.......me and my other friend work on the RB, cleaning it and putting it all back together ( took all the pieces off to sand blast them Wed, night) and then the other two work on my KA taking it out. We pretty much got the RB all back together ( just need to put the pulleys, cam angle sensor, and wiring back on) and the KA is pretty much out, just need to drop the cross member.

For today, well we will probably have the KA out and RB in within 30min. Once that is in and the 1/2 spacers, then I will be able to measure the driveshaft length and take it to the driveshaft shop and get a custom one piece made. Now it's looking like I possibly might have it done by Sunday night if everything goes well. I will get you guys some pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
225 Posts
noone ever tried to start false rumors. There were just many warnings and skeptics.

And by the way, everyone expected DETurbine to get good motors, regardless of the legitimacy of racinghard. No suprise there.

It was a good move on DETurbines part to make his transaction so public. He was smart enough to jump on the opportunity to keep as much exposure on his motors, and of course, racinghard delivered to establish a postive image.

·
Registered
297 Posts
this is dope man, very very cool.... i happy that all went well with your motors, because we may be skeptics...but you got one hell of a deal

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Day 5: Friday

We all got together and started to sand down my car to ruff it up. Then we masked off all the windows and what ever parts we did not want to paint. After all the prepping was over we sprayed my car flat black. We still need to wet sand it, it's a little ruff, but once we wet sand it, it will have a nice finish just like "Project Silvia" that Sports Compact did. That took pretty much all of our time Friday.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 6: Saturday

We only had about 3 hours to work on it today. Once I got over there, my friend all ready had the motor under the car. We then lowered the lift over the engine and then got the hoist to raise to motor, it took about 20 minutes to bolt up the cross member. Once that was in we raise the car and looked at the tranny mount....well we ended up making adapter plates for it with 1/2inch aluminum spacers, it took us close to an hour to make the spacers and measure and drill them out, but we got them done. Yes the shifter will sit about an inch forward, but I don't think that will bother me at all. That is pretty much all we got done Saturday.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Day 7: Sunday

I got to my friends around 4pm. When I got there my friend already made motor mount spacers (1/2 inch) and just ended up dropping the cross-member down a little and notched out the spacer were the bolts are, so we could just slide the spacer between the mount with it still bolted in.......once that was in we torqued down the cross-member back up. After that we put my original steering rack back in and hooked up my friends 93 240sx steering lines up ( since mine is an 89) and bent them a little to fit around the cross member. Then we bolted up the rest of my suspension and found out that the front anti-roll bar rubs against the oil pan and will not allow you do bolt it up. We will be putting in 3/4inch spacers on the anti-roll bar and that will allow us to bolt it right up. At that point we decided to all go home and get some rest. I have been going to bed at about 1-2am and then waking up at 6:30am to go to work ever week day, so we all went home last night and went to bed a little early.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I think we will put the spacers on the anti-roll bar and then I will take the measurements for the driveshaft to the driveshaft shop today. We will probably start the wiring tonight and hopefully that will only take us a few days to do. We will see though. I will add up the total hours and total money spent on the swap for you guys once I am done with the swap.

Lata,
Zach

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I will have time to upload the pictures on tonight.
If you want to check later tonight then they should be up.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts