Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I rebuilt a KA24E and ordered a new Clearwater cylinder head. After changing the head I noticed a drop in cranking compression and a higher power band than the stock head.
With the stock head/cam power would drop off hard at 5,000rpm but had lots of low end torque, while the Clearwater head/cam has virtually not low end torque (its gutless until about 4,5000rpm) and pulls very well from 4,500rpm to 7,500rpm (and probably higher, but I have never revved past 7-7.5k rpm).
So, tonight we decided to swap in a stock KA cam to see what happens, and sure enough it had lots of low end with power droping off at 5,000rpm like it used to.
Looking at the two cams I cant see a difference really but the new (high rpm cam) has a lob height of 45mm and has casting marks of the letter M and the number 7 with a white dot.
Does anyone know what kinda cam this is, or have any specs for it?:12dunno
The stock cam doesnt have any marks or anything.
BTW, the cam is all silver. It doesn't have black lobes like the JWT cam does.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh, I'll try to get some pics. I don't really have a camera at the moment, but It looks identical to a stock cam tho. The cam is defiantly not a stock cam tho.
Did any of the FWD KA24E's use a more performance oriented cam?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing I forget to mention, the cam looks like it was cut from a very rough cast. You can see little ridges and high spots on the sides of the lobes. It also looks like some one tried to grind some of the stuff away in parts.
I'm thinking it was possibly a custom cam. I've never seen a cam (stock KA cam) with that much roughness in it so it cant be a regrind or anything.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
maybe its a honda cam someone jerryrigged to fit
haha. WHAT?

If that were even possible, I doubt someone would be stupid enough to do that, since he bought an aftermarket head, it sounds like.

I don't think the cam journals would line up between a honda cam and the KA-E cam.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Could it possibly be a nissan truck cam? I would think the E's in the trucks would use the same cam, and if anything be more tourqy in low end. Never know i guess...

I would guess custom cam if it looks all knotched up and so...

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it was a stock reman head from clearwater. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow, if not Tuesday. But it's defiantly not a honda cam, lol.
Also it has a pretty smooth idle but its a little choppy. (just a little, hardly noticeable)

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
PDM maybe, or maybe a cam out of a stanza? Or, its possible that its a custom cam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts