Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a rebuilt ka24e and i put on the exhaust system. The problem is that my car sounds like a v8 and is way too loud. the stock exhaust that i bought the car with is just a straight pipe about 1.25-1.5 diameter. i was wonderin would a resonater make it quieter?

·
SLO-S13
4,454 Posts
A resonator should definitley help you a bit. Does the car have a muffler on it? As that will also help you a bit lol.

·
Registered
693 Posts
FInd a muffler you like and a good reonator should do the trick. Check for any exhaust leaks w/ some soapy water. You never know, you my just need to fix some leaks.

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got no muffler
if i just bought one of those $200 3" exhausts off ebay and left the silencer in would i be okay?

G

·
get a resonator.

also, silencers do quite a bit.. without a silencer i'd have punched out my eardrums with a pencil during a couple recent roadtrips.

·
SLO-S13
4,454 Posts
hmm silencer never did anything for my EBay Apexi N1 knockoff. Made the car sound like a Honda.

G

·
240fly said:
the stock exhaust that i bought the car with is just a straight pipe about 1.25-1.5 diameter. i was wonderin would a resonater make it quieter?
wait, does it still have that shit on it? did you just stick a muffler on that?

and whoever asked about where to buy a resonator: buy it off ebay, but buy name brand. buy a magnaflow resonator, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
263 Posts
DspecDJ said:
Dont ever go above 2.5 inch piping if you're NA, 3 inches and up is best suited for turbo applications
LOL lets not get into this arguement again..

If you want queit, get a 2.5" exhaust with a good resonator and muffler, but if you dont want to change your exhaust again when you decide to go turbo or beef up your motor some more, just go 3" catback again with a good resonator or two(depending on how queit you want it), plus a nice muffler. Also, most "Turbo" Mufflers(not fart can style), are usually a lot quieter than N1 Cannister Style Mufflers.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
my friend has the ssac catback off ebay, its really nice for the price, there are no problems with fitment or quality, and the silencer helps out a ton! and don't listen to anybody saying 3" isnt good for n/a setups, (especially if they say "i installed a 3" on my KA and i FELT a dip in torque but gains in hp at the higher end, butt dynos are very inaccurate)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good idea player. LOL jk with the player comment =P

·
Registered
502 Posts
240SXAddict said:
my friend has the ssac catback off ebay, its really nice for the price, there are no problems with fitment or quality, and the silencer helps out a ton! and don't listen to anybody saying 3" isnt good for n/a setups, (especially if they say "i installed a 3" on my KA and i FELT a dip in torque but gains in hp at the higher end, butt dynos are very inaccurate)
I thought that if you go above 2.5 inch the loss in back pressure creates a loss in torque. I just remember reading it somewhere, don't remember where though, but for turbo you want as little back pressure as possible for quicker spools. So does it make a loss in torque? and if so is the loss drastic? I just figured the guy had a KA-E and he wouldnt be turboing it and less than 3 inches would work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dont listen to this nonsense, on the ka, it has been tested and proven that there are no losses up to 3.5 inch. I dont know about 4" but 2.5<3<3.5 no losses, just gains.

·
Premium Member
9,508 Posts
you could also have an exhaust leak, a bit ago I was like WTF why does my car sound loud? then i check and I had a bad gasket on my cat and a tiny ass hole you cant even see it with its that small, but i fixed the gasket and getting a muffler shop to spotweld it and with just the gasket its hella quieter.

oh and I have 3" old stye RS*R ex mag, it aint very loud :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
mirage said:
Dont listen to this nonsense, on the ka, it has been tested and proven that there are no losses up to 3.5 inch. I dont know about 4" but 2.5<3<3.5 no losses, just gains.
Cool to know

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
my friend's s13 has a completely built and sexy ka24DE, in wonderful shape, less than 1k miles on it since rebuild. it's stock-ish, too.

but he has '1 piping and no tip, his car -literally- WHISTLES when he gets on it. no turbo, just so tight that his car starts literally whistling!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts