Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I threw a rod through the block of my 89 DD awhile ago and since I already have all the parts, minus the MAF, for a DOHC swap I am considering doing this. My question to anyone who has done this, is the swap worth the effort? I have to pull and replace the motor anyway I just wanna know if the power gain is worth the extra I'll spend on the twin cam engine.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
its so easy to do... its worth it ... nothing against sohc's but nissan did switch to the dual cam for a reason

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda what I thought. If I'm correct all I need for the swap is the engine, wiring, ecu, p/s lines, cluster and MAF. Is this correct? And the only thing different as far as wiring is the actual engine harness?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
yup thats all you need to pull it off, pretty easy stuff to get your hands on too... super easy

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet so then the only thing I need is the MAF. Thanks man.

·
Another squid on a Gixxer
1,448 Posts
if you need any help with the swap itself, as far as what all is involved, twofourtysx (aka, jimmy) did the swap, as did I.. I'm usually around the board to answer questions, so feel free to shoot me a PM anytime if you have questions.. there is a very very small amount of wiring involved, but it's really simple. and if you're in OH, and can wait for about 2-3 weeks, I can drop by with my pin remover/installer and help do a CLEAN rewire for the car, using factory connectors..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What rewiring do you have to do?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
its just dash wiriing like the a couple little wires are different that go to the cluster

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
you have to cut the body harness off the sohc and wire it in place of the dohc conector.... 5 wires just match the colors...yellow/red-tach ,yellow/green-speedo,orange/orange-ignition,black-ground,blue/black-water temp sensor.... theres a couple left over wires that dont get used... and your consult wont work... i think theres a way to make it work but i have not tried it...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries then. I don't use the consult anyway. :p

·
1,448 Posts
yeah, if you've got the proper tool, you can re-use the connectors on the harness (like jimmy did), which makes removal/install really really easy..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. If the pin tool is all you need I have access to one of those.

·
Suck My Balls!
3,549 Posts
In my opinion it was absolutely worth the effort to swap in a low mileage DE into my 90. I got my motor and all the swap parts for about 500 bucks and then had to spend a few more on fluids and other miscellaneous stuff. I still enjoy the hell out of my car and I did that swap about 5 years ago this month. Ive had no problems with the actual swap aside for typical things like maintenance and a water pump :)

My thread - http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/1989-1994-240sx-s13/54756-jimmys-90-s13-dohc-build.html

if you need any help, send me a PM or ask it here!
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. Now the next question is... I have two chassis, one is my busted DD that still had the SOHC in it and the other is almost perfect and had a DOHC swap previous to my owning it. The question is, if I want to possibly drift and for sure auto-x in this car would it be better to use the beat up car, since it may end up hitting a wall anyway? JW cuz when I say beat up I mean too much rust and body work to handle.

·
Suck My Balls!
3,549 Posts
I think I would concentrate on the good car. I wouldn't waste my time with a rusted and beat up shell even if there is a chance of wrecking the good car.

·
1,448 Posts
good call Jimmy.. if you're gonna race a car, you have to accept the fact that it will probably get wrecked at some point.. if you can't deal with/can't afford to wreck a car thats in decent shape, you don't need to be racing..

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
yup , the chassis is pretty much the back bone of the car, with out it, you pretty much got nothing... andd if you plan to drive the car aggressivly at all its very important, wrecking is the chance you take everyday

·
1,448 Posts
yes.. which is exactly the situation that led me to sell rev my old motor. Michigan winter's caused rust holes on my frame, so there was no way I was about to put down any kind of power with a chassis that couldn't handle a little torquing motion..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ignitor? Do you mean ignition coil? And I figured use the good body. It's not that I can't afford to wreck the good car, it's just getting really hard around here to find a good shell.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts