Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an rb20det and received it with more than a few wires cut. Would anybody by chance have a couple pictures of their complete uncut harness? That way I can see what I'm missing and decide whether its worth it to try and repair this one, or track another one down. If not, I have a few pictures of where some of the more important wires were cut, just need some identification help. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Post up the pics of the wiring you have and I can tell you what your missing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, this isnt all of them, but its a pretty good start.

First off, is there supposed to be something coming out of the drain plug? It looks like its cut off...

Then the back of the tranny,

Harness coming from alt?

Then either one or 2 wires cut on left side crankcase..

Around same area, knock sensor above it in gold? No idea

This one still has the connector, but I have no idea where it plugs in

Big single black/yellow wire from left side crankcase

Half of main harness, everything that goes to ecu is fine, but I'm guessing this goes to cluster?

O2 sensor

This looks to me like an aftermarket EGT probe, but I could be wrong...

Thats it, as you can see, its cut up pretty bad...just wondering if its repairable, or if i should start hunting down a new harness?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Pics by number for the few I know just glancing.
1) if thats the oil pan drain plug or is in fact a drain pluf of any sort then no it shouldnt have anything on it
2) cable driven speedometer...either get a new one and use a r32 gauge cluster or swap it out for a electric one from a 240 and use your 240 cluster...the other wires are for your reverse lights
3) i guess maybe the alternator wires which you will need
4-5) really cant tell i would have to look at my own car
6) that may not plug anywhere but I would make sure you look the engine over make sure everything is plugged in...i think i taped that up...there are many wires you dont use to get it to run
7) negative battery wire grounds to the block
8) most of the wires on the cluster are in the chassie harness...i dont think thats what you think it is
9) MAF you need that
10) yeah maybe something like that but most people put those farther up near the manifold

I would get a new one that is hacked to pieces... you will need the connectors in order to connect them....you could rig it to work but it looks like you might have to lengthen some wires it would be too much of a hastle. If I know one thing is do it right first.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So am I missing a particular harness, ie. the lower one? All the wires going to the top of the engine are ok, just the ones around the block seem to be hacked. Where could I find a harness that isnt hacked? Or is there a company that sells an rb20 harness pre-wired for the s13? Thanks for the identification help.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Can you solder? It is completely repairable. It is not bad at all. Some changes in the post above, and suggestions:

1) Get a new drain plug. Anything that bolts in will work
2) use the ka lower harness and all tranny sensors and this is all solved.
3) If these are for the alternator, you are fine because those are on the lower harness and you should use a ka one.
4-5) That is an aftermarket oil pressure guage. You should get an aftermarket guage and put it in this spot to monitor oil pressure. Do not worry about the cut up wiring there. You will NOT use the stock rb oil pressure sending unit which you clearly do not have anyway.
6) In this case he is definitely correct. You do not need that and I don't know what it is.
7) negative battery wire grounds to the block -- correct
8) you do not need this chunk. It went to the skyline windshield wipers and maybe cruise controll. Somewhere embeded in this chunk though may be the MAF wires. I can tell you the colors of the four wires if you need. It would be good to check with the ecu pinout and a mulitmeter to verify.
9) Yes you need a MAF
10) EGT

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
s14-240 said:
Somewhere embeded in this chunk though may be the MAF wires. I can tell you the colors of the four wires if you need. It would be good to check with the ecu pinout and a mulitmeter to verify.

So in that chunk should be wires that run to the exhauast or intake MAF sensor? I looked for a plug that would fit into the intake MAF but didnt see anything.

And yes, I can solder, Im going to attempt this wiring stuff on my own, but I wasnt sure if everything was there to make it all work. Thanks everybody for the help so far. I really appreciate it

·
Registered
737 Posts
Now that I think about it, both the o2 sensor wires and the MAF wires are all in that chunk. I will have to check colors on all of them and get back to you. If you do not have a plug to go to the o2 sensor, I know I have an extra one somewhere. As for the MAF, I don't have one, but you should be able to get a pigtail from someone on this board.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appoligize as I am very unfamiliar with this engine, but where are the O2 and MAF sensors located? I know that I have a MAF sensor that connects in between the air filter and the intake side of the turbo, but I thought the 02 sensor is the one in picture 9? Is this the exhaust MAF (which I didnt know existed) and then the 02 sensor is further downstream, past the catalytic converter?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Jerkzack said:
I appoligize as I am very unfamiliar with this engine, but where are the O2 and MAF sensors located? I know that I have a MAF sensor that connects in between the air filter and the intake side of the turbo, but I thought the 02 sensor is the one in picture 9? Is this the exhaust MAF (which I didnt know existed) and then the 02 sensor is further downstream, past the catalytic converter?
there is no such thing as an exhaust maf. The sensor in the picture is your O2 sensor. The MAF sensor wiring that goes to the black box in the intake track is the MAF sensor and you need 4 wires to run down to it, a power, a ground, and two signal wires. The O2 sensor needs 3 wires, power, ground, and signal. Those 7 wires are located in that chunk that is cut off your harness.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
just source out a new rb20det harness, make sure its for the right 'series' motor tho as that can cause some headaches.
that harness is torn up, i wouldnt try to repair it since you are missing so many connectors.

·
Registered
737 Posts
he is only missing 2 sensors, I don't think it will be too hard. I will just tell him the colors and locations and he can find new pigtails. It won't be that hard. Although, I think you are assuming the new connections won't be as good, and you may be correct. It depends on how he does them. The stock harness has small fine wires that are grounded out wrapped arround all 4 maf wires to reduce voltage spikes in the harness. I'm sure if he can replicate those things, it will perform like the stock harness.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Electricity will actually flow better through thicker wire and the soldiers wont cause nearly any voltage drop. Wrap the wire in that electro-static sheilding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
s14-240 said:
Iwill just tell him the colors and locations and he can find new pigtails. It won't be that hard.

Yeah, if you could find out which wires i need out of that cut-off chunk, I'd REALLY appreciate it. And I would just need that one MAF pigtail right? Any idea where I could find just that one? Thanks again for all the advice and the www.sidewayscrazy.com website, thats going to come in REALLY handy.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just checked my box of wires and I do have one that will plug into the MAF. It is actually about 3 ft of wires too, and it is already wrapped in electrosatic sheilding. It is actually the stock plug for the Cam angle sensor, but it is the same plug as the maf, just the wires are different. I can part with it.

I will get those colors tomorrow.

Walter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts