Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a nearly perfect stock 240sx off BaT and am looking for some help getting into this! I'm young, in the military, and do not have a garage so that is a recipe for disaster owning a 30 year old car. Below I'll try and explain my situation and I'm sorry if I'm all over the place.

I am currently preparing the car for a 1,000 mile trip (yep you read that right) and need help figuring out what to replace and whatnot. I'm doing all the basics (oil, antifreeze, tires) but aside from that I am unsure with these cars and engines. The engine and the transmission are strong and the previous owner (I am the second owner) had it regularly maintained. The plugs were recently replaced and the radiator hoses feel new. Other than that, I am unsure of what to do on it.

The next issue I have is protecting the outside of the car for the trip and for when it sits outside. I planned on wrapping the front in masking tape and getting a dash saver, floor mats (uncracked dash and I have the oem floor mats!), an all weather cover for when its sitting out in the Florida sun, and possibly getting the entire undercarriage covered in that plastic spray protectant (forgot what it's called sorry). Aside from that, the only thing I can think of replacing is the rubber around the windows to weather proof it. Should I do more than that? How reasonable is it to daily this car and leave it outside? I want to keep it as stock as possible, and I heard that these KA engines are reliable as long as you keep them stock.

Anyways, I know I was all over the place, but any help would be greatly appreciated!! I just joined this forum and just got this car so my knowledge on these are very limited, all I knew was I wanted one of these and happened to come across one on a auction and the rest is history. I found out very quickly that I was definitely wearing rose colored lens when I wanted this car, and the reality is very different. This is a 30 year old car, and I just want to keep her alive, daily her and enjoy her. Thank you for reading this and if you guys have any advice at all, it all is appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey chase,

congrats on the new purchase! I hope you are ready for a world of headache. 30 year old 240SX's are notorious for issues, especially on long trips. bring LOTS of extra oil, coolant, brake fluid, tools, a full sized spare tire, extra tie rods, probably a steering rack, and any other part you can fit. I wouldn't worry about taping the front? If you really cared about the car, I would never EVER put tape on the paint. That is one way to ruin it fast. KA engines are "Reliable". Most people turbo them to get the most life out of them, helps the car run alot more efficiently and much better gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
1,996 Posts
Welcome,
Please post some pics of the car. Not that I have never seen a stock 240, just want to see what you have. What year, S13/S14, auto or manual, etc?

Check this out

I'd do the following, caps are there so you can read it easier.

-DOWNLOAD THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL (FSM). THERE SHOULD BE LINKS IN THE RESOURCE CENTER WHICH WILL PROBABLY TAKE YOU TO NICO FORUMS.
-ENGINE OIL & FILTER CHANGE (USE NISSAN FILTER)
-TRANSMISSION OIL, OR AUTO TRANS FLUID & FILTER IF IT IS AUTOMATIC
-COOLANT CHANGE WITH A NEW NISSAN THERMOSTAT, DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET THERMOSTAT
-BRAKE FLUID CHANGE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN IT WAS LAST DONE. BE CAUTIOUS AS THE BLEEDER SCREW CAN BREAK AND CAUSE PROBLEMS, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
-CHECK ALL BRAKE PADS AND ROTORS
-CHECK TIRES. THERE SHOULD BE A 4 DIGIT CODE, USUALLY IN A SQUARE, ON THE TIRES. IT'S THE DATE CODE. FIRST TWO DIGITS ARE THE WEEK, AND LAST TWO ARE THE YEAR. SO A 1417 WOULD MEAN THE 14TH WEEK OF 2017, SO LIKE END OF MARCH EARLY APRIL OF 2017. YOU DON'T WANT TO DRIVE AROUND ON TIRES OLDER THAN 5 -7 YEARS, YOU NEED TO CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS EXCESSIVE CRACKING ON THE SIDE. YOU MIGHT NEED NEW TIRES UNLESS THEY WERE RECENTLY CHANGED.
-SUSPENSION - CHECK ALL BALLJOINTS, STEERING BOOTS, STRUTS FOR LEAKS, OR ANY WEIRD CLUNKS, NOISES, OR EXCESSIVE MOVEMENT/PLAY IN ANY COMPONENT. EVERYTHING SHOULD BE TIGHT.
-ALIGNMENT, IT WILL GET OLD REAL FAST IF YOUR CAR DOESNT TRACK STRAIGHT AND YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE WHEEL SLIGHTLY LEFT TO KEEP THE CAR STRAIGHT. SPEND THE $100 AND GET THE ALIGNMENT CHECKED.
-CHECK ALL RUBBER IN ENGINE BAY. HOSES SHOULD BE FREE OF CRACKS, IT SHOULD NOT SMELL LIKE GAS IN THE ENGINE BAY, IT SHOULD IDLE NORMALLY AND DRIVE RELATIVELY QUIETLY FOR A KA24DE.
-GET A CONSULT PORT ADAPTER. THEY ARE LIKE $30 ON EBAY. YOU NEED THAT ADAPTER, PLUG THAT INTO THE WEIRD GRAY PLUG BY THE FUSE BOX (MIGHT BE ABOVE IT ) AND HOOK IT TO A LAPTOP. I FORGET WHAT PROGRAM I USE BUT IT'S A FREE DOWNLOAD AND YOU CAN VERIFY EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE ON YOUR CAR.
-MAKE SURE RADIO, HEAT AND AC SHOULD WORK.
-TRY TO ATLEAST GET AN S14 SEAT IN YOUR CAR. THE S13 SEAT ISN'T TOO COMFORTABLE FOR LONG DRIVES. THE S14 SEAT IS BEARABLE FOR A FEW HOURS.

ROADTRIPPING ADVICE
-GET A HIDDEN KILLSWITCH & AN APPLE AIRTAG HIDDEN IN THE CAR SOMEWHERE HARD TO GET TO.
-STEERING COLUMN LOCK
-GET THOSE WINDOW SHADES THAT YOU CAN STICK ON YOUR DRIVER AND PASSENGER DOORS. THE SUN WILL BEAT DOWN ON YOU.
-SUNGLASSES
-EMERGENCY SUPPLIES IN CASE YOU ARE DRIVING THROUGH ANYWHERE THAT IS COLD RIGHT NOW
-DO NOT PUT TAPE ON ANYTHING. TRY TO FIND A CLEAR BRA TO PUT ON YOUR FRONT BUMPER/HOOD IF YOU CARE THAT MUCH.

GENERAL ADVICE
-I own 3 S14's. They are reliable cars and I drove mine on multiple 6 hour trips when I was in college. It was stock back then too, and it was not the most comfortable thing. Honestly I would just take another car that was more comfortable, got better gas mileage, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, something I would be able to park without wondering if it will get stolen. The 240sx is a desirable car, people know about it and it will be a target. I'm doing killswitches and other security just for when I take the car up to Pocono racetrack (2 hours from me) and have to leave the car parked outside overnight. I'm that paranoid that I'm parking in the backyard behind the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts