Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to the forums. Want to start this thread by saying I’m an avid car enthusiast with very limited mechanical experience( I changed oil for a few years). But I want to build a car and I want to build an S chassis and I need some help and pointers. My plan is to start by buying an engine, then completely rebuilding it before doing anything else. Sr20’s seem to be few and far between and expensive so I am planning on going with an KA24 with a turbo set up. After completely rebuilding the engine I want to then look for a trans and dif, and then go from there with a shell and subframe and suspension. My plan for the car is not a show car on the outside, or a drift missle, but more so a “clean” and reliable car with a fully built (the right way) engine. With that said, just looking for advice on where to start, any steps I should follow on the build, and just general knowledge you all can help with.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Find a reputable machine shop, don’t skimp on researching your bottom end tolerances and buying graded bearings according to what grade crank is in the KA, invest in a good oil pan, really nail the clearances for the valves (going to likely take a lot of shims), be careful with the oil squirters when assembling the engine (especially don’t forget to put them back in) and did I mention measure your clearances yet?
I love a KA-T. Great motor with lots of torque.
Stock KA trans is really fine for most daily applications but if you’re really wanting to do a trans swap a CD009 is pretty rock solid and there are a few swap kits out there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts