Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've recently inherited an '89' Nissan 240SX. I'm not sure at this point if I'm going to make this a project car or just sell it. The body is in outstanding condition but there is extensive rust underneath. Determining if the rust issue can be corrected will be what ultimately influences my decision.

Everything appears to be OEM here. It runs. I had not previously driven one of these so my description might be off however it seems to me that this car is really underpowered, the clutch is slipping a bit and the suspension is crap.

If the underbody issues can be mitigated my general plan will be to start with the suspension and then go to work on the Engine and Trans whether that means a rebuild or replacement I'm not sure. From what I'm reading about this year model the SR20DET engine and manual trans is a popular upgrade.

I will post any progress on this project and appreciate any comments or advice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks really nice for a 31 year old car! Everyone is going to probably tell you to keep it stock, but an SR20 will add a little more fun to it. Just make sure it's done properly and please, try not to hack it up. Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
1,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

That car is clean! Shout out to your dad for keeping that thing fresh after all these years. Please post more pictures. Show us where the rust is. If it is where I'm thinking it is, you should be able to fix it easily.

I wouldn't touch that car for any body kits or whatever. All those 240s with crazy aero kits are just trend bandwagoners for the most part. Your car looks really good as is.

Here's what I would do if I owned that car, its not really in order just a list of immediate things I would do

1. Start watching youtube videos on how to weld with a flux core mig welder. Buy all the stuff you need (Harbor freight has really cheap flux core welders for like $100) and buy your welding helmet and all the stuff you need. Buy metal in the same thickness of the metal you are going to be replacing and practice until you can make decent welds. Take care of the rust (cut out rusty areas, weld in new metal, paint etc)

2. That car runs so I would do tune up stuff assuming it runs normally. You're not burning oil, knocking, or anything weird like that right?
Spark plugs, wires, distributor (cap and rotor), air filter, clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, Full fluid change ( Engine, transmission, rear differential [use a 13mm square drive socket, its not a 1/2" drive], Bleed brakes, clutch fluid, Coolant change etc)

3. Brakes - If you are keeping those wheels, just stick with factory replacement rotors and brake pads.

4. Gaskets - Like any car, leaks suck. An exhaust leak will make you run like crap, fluid leaks are a headache so just take care of whatever comes up. There should be a ton of videos / how-to's on exactly what you are doing.

5. Lights - I'm not sure what are good replacement headlights for the pop up headlights are. I would do LED brake light bulbs, interior dome light, and cluster leds. Don't do LED turn signals. Don't do LED headlights unless you are doing a projector retrofit (this is probably going to be expensive), just do a little research on what works for headlights.

Don't get roped into the "Drift life" culture and the whole ideology that "it's just a 240 bro". It's a clean car and yes, the Ka engines aren't known for being fast from the factory, but don't worry. People turbocharge them and make decent power. I do think it's best you do things on the list before you start buying a bunch of go fast/look cool parts.

·
The Irrelevant Mod
29,281 Posts
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooord I miss my coupe so much.

:tears:tears

I am absolutely jealous. That car is so purdy!

Hopefully you decide to carry on with it and pass it on in the future to keep'er alive. And if you do....

:worthless

Looking forward to updates.

·
The Irrelevant Mod
29,281 Posts
I'm not gonna lie. I want it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts