Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electrical short?? Just need input..

So i have some gauges ran below my radio... no biggie.. i also have my radiator fan ran off the constant +12volts that is at the radio.

I recently upgraded from my KA Mishimoto Radiator to a SR Alum Radiator... the new radiator came with 2 fans.

SO i have the power for the fans ran to the constant 12volts wire that is behind the radio. (12 volts at the radio harness is my power wire for my gauges and RAD fans, the power is ran through a relay.)

When i hooked up both fans to the switch in my car... i hit the switch.. and bam!! MY radio shuts off, my clock on the dash shuts off, my gauges turn off as well...

ok, blown fuse? check them all.. no luck.. ok..... :12dunno

I am not near my FSM yet to check out the wire paths, but im thinking maybe a relay got fried.. or some fuse is blown but is not showing on my meter..

Its soo weird, i have never seen the constant 12 volt wire to not show voltage... the car is fine other wise, but this is gonna bug me if i dont figure this out soon. :eek:

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
First off... what are you doing?
Twin radiator fans are going to draw around 7 amps of current each. A 4x50w stereo is going to pull say another 10-15 amps. Thats 24-30 amps through wiring originally designed to support 20.

Why are you not running the fans off a high current relay controlled by the +12v radio wire and powered direct from the battery?

·
240-kid
47,143 Posts
+1, Should have ran it right the first time

You probably burnt a wire... Lucky you didnt burn the car

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Fuse size is not intended to protect the electronics, it is intended to protect the wiring

Why run the Fan power off the Radio power when you can run it off the battery directly.

and put a relay in for switching the fans on and off... or you will be replacing switches often

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK!

I found my blown fuse...

Yes, i know i need to re-wire up the fans now. ( get new power line from constant 12 volts, and wire in new 10amp fuse links for the fans and gauges...

MAINLY, i was looking for the fuse to check out. Once i found my FSM, i solved my question... so no worry guys..

~ I was alittle under the influence last nite, so i dont even know really why i even posted this... LOL!

·
Registered
9 Posts
wait i had the same issue to.. well i didn't blow my fuse with a rad fan..

instead i was not cautious and shorted the constant with an screw or ground.. :gaah:

anyways.. my clock, radio and everything else he mention did not work! until i replaced the fuse.. however, i still don't get the 12v on constant.. what else can it be

the audio fuse were on the driver side... all the other fuses seem to be OK!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts