Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get this KADE going but I can't find whats keeping it from getting a spark.

At first I thought it was the battery. Replaced battery and terminals. Still no spark.
I tested the power wires and I'm getting power to everything but it seems the coil isn't sending out a spark.
So now I'm pretty unsure of what to do.
Any help, suggestions, anything, would be great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
dude im in the same situation try setting ur timing with the distributor by setting the #1 cylinder TDC but make sure its on the intake stroke. try tat out first and see what that do

·
Another squid on a Gixxer
1,448 Posts
which coil are you using? if you're using an aftermarket coil, you probably have it wired backwards.. and how do you know you aren't getting spark? have you pulled one of the plugs and checked for spark? or are you just assuming it's no spark because the motor won't fire?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Also, check the ignitor on the back of the coil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried to set the timing and still nothing.
I'm positive I'm not getting a spark because I've tried taking the spark plug out and touching it to metal. I've held a screwdriver to the coil wire. Still got nothing.
I've tried three different coils.

Shadoe: Which ignitor?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Check the FSM...

It is the transistor mounted to the Coil...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bow. I've been trying to find something in the FSM. But I'm not sure where to look?
Is it the power transistor?

·
1,448 Posts
that should be the one. I don't have my FSMs for the 240 on this computer, otherwise I'd look it up for you and give you the exact location in the books for it..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm kind of thinking its more along the line of wiring or something other then the power transistor because I've tried 2 different transistors along with coils.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. Could my CAS be a cause? It seems to be off and maybe isn't any good. I figured it was still good because the rotor in the cap turned. Anyone know where I could pick up a CAS for cheap or even the whole distributor?

·
1,448 Posts
check the classifieds here on the forum.. or local auto parts stores..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know that I am getting power through the harness, but I have a feeling it might be a ground. Which grounds should I check that have to do with the coil and ignition and how do I test to see if there getting good ground?

·
1,448 Posts
you'll need a multi-meter.. and you'll wanna check all grounds you can.. make sure the block's ground wires are properly terminated, and all others.. there's a setting on almost all digital multi-meters to check continuity between 2 points.. ensure the ground on your coil has good continuity (0 resistance = direct contact = good continuity) to a bare metal part of the chassis, also check a bare part of the block/head to a similar locations, and all of the ignition components. also, is this a factory coil? or aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Also check the Ground on the Head

You can't replace the CAS, it is built into the Distributor

S13 or S14 KA24DE?

Check in the EF & EC section.

On an S13: EC-104

On an S14: EC-245

·
Registered
19 Posts
+1 on checking the ground on the head. the one at the back of the head above the header. i had left it loose and wasnt gettin spark when i did my DE swap.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
double check to make sure your ecu is getting power. have someone put their ear by the relay by the ecu, and when u turn the car on, have them listen for a click. Cause my problem could be the same as yours. My ecu, for some reason, isnt getting power. Even though, now, it is getting power, it still wont turn on, because im pretty sure i fried something from a dumbass thing i did...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kennysupra: I will be sure and pick up a multimeter all I have right now is a test light. The coils that I have tried have all been factory coils.

Bow: The engine is an s13 KA24DE. And thanks for telling me where to look.

rx7anator: I will go check that ground right now.

det 414: What could you have possibly blown to make the ECU not come on?

·
1,448 Posts
it may not be anything blown, just a loose/corroded wire.. something not plugged in all the way.. something along those lines.. if a power source doesn't have good connectivity with whatever is drawing power, the "puller" will try to draw more and more power until it's current needs are met.. which means, that the source has to work a LOT harder to supply it.. usually this turns into some kind of electronics receiving too much current, and it will fry something.. sometimes you can catch it quick enough to prevent this.. but, as my buddy Dan likes to say "the factory seals in smoke into all it's electronic components.. once that smoke leaks out, it's no good"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts