Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously...it does.

Here's my problem, right now i have an obd1 95 auto which is overall a fun car. I've only owned it for about a month and the fact that it's not a 5speed is killing me. I picked up a 90 5 speed with some engine problems and plan on swapping trannies. I know i need some parts that are s14 specific but thats not my problem. My problem is the simple fact that the 90 with so called engine problems doesn't really have engine problems. It has a bad sensor. This leaves me with two good running 240's.

Here's my options...
-Keep the s13 and sell the s14 and sr20 the s13 along with some other go fast goodies.
-Swap trannies like originally intended and part out the s13
-Keep both and just start saving to sr20, ca18, or rb20 the s13 and keep the s14 as a daily
-vice versa from above.
-ka-t one of them keep the other as a daily.
-ka-t one and sell the other to fund the ka-t.

now i'll tell you a little about me so you can better see my point of view(s)
I'm 19 with a pretty good mechanical knowledge. I'm really proficient with anything dealing with boost-tuning, kit design, etc. I have mild to moderate welding and fabricating skills, and i have no time and am in school 9 hours a day 5 days a week. The only time that i would have to work on either car is weekends(so if i was going to swap something then it'd have to be done in a weekend.) I've owned 7 cars and a truck and all were tuned to some extent. I had an 04 wrx, but when i made the decision to go back to school i simply couldn't afford it. Anyway sorry about the novel but any input would be great. I've been doing research but i guess i just feel like i'm missing an option. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Im confused... Do you just like having a car with the 240sx name?.....

Which do you prefer, s13 or s14... keep that one, sell the other one to fund the one you keep. Or... Keep both and be broke. If you like both but cannot decide... Hold onto both untill you come across the 5 speed parts for the s14, do the 5 speed swap, throw a junkyard turbo set up on the DE, tune it yourself to run... and sell the thing. Might as well make some money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats the thing. I've always wanted an s13 but then i bought the s14 and actually like it. So now it's just a toss up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i say build up the s13 and DD the S14...
working and going to school full time is a bitch, the only way i got through it is working on my car on the weekends

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
The s14 would be a nicer daily, BUT the s14 also has a better suspension design and handles better than the s13 will, especially s13 hatches, as the hatch has the lowest chassis rigidity of all of them. Trust me, I hate how mine feels like a wet noodle when cornering.

Either way, I'd keep one, and daily it, and then make the other into a project. Honestly, I daily my s13, and even slammed on coils its ok to drive all the time. I love my car and all, but I'd really like to have an s14. Just saying.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The s14 would be a nicer daily, BUT the s14 also has a better suspension design and handles better than the s13 will, especially s13 hatches, as the hatch has the lowest chassis rigidity of all of them. Trust me, I hate how mine feels like a wet noodle when cornering.

Either way, I'd keep one, and daily it, and then make the other into a project. Honestly, I daily my s13, and even slammed on coils its ok to drive all the time. I love my car and all, but I'd really like to have an s14. Just saying.
nothing beats the sexiness of s13 fastback!!

haha

and u can always stitch weld the chassis and get rear cross bar, c-pillar bars and etc to stiffen the chassis

and u can always swap the s14 suspension into s13s

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
keep the s14 as a daily & make the s13 a project car. i wish i had a s14 4 a daily. it would b so nice 2 slap some g35 alloys on w/some decent sort of [email protected] a system. just to cruz around in they are way more comfortable. & yes the fastback is less ridgid stock, but like drift motion was sayin, it can b stiffened w/modification.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
nothing beats the sexiness of s13 fastback!!

haha

and u can always stitch weld the chassis and get rear cross bar, c-pillar bars and etc to stiffen the chassis

and u can always swap the s14 suspension into s13s
Duh duder. That's why I got one!!

Yeah, I'm just gonna cage mine. And it's not the S14's suspension that makes it good, but rather the chassis itself. It's a lot less flexible than either of the S13 chassis.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Im kind of just assuming... but if your going to school full time and working you have no money... Period. So having 2 car's with no money sucks... especially if they are both stock and you have dreams of coilovers and nice 5 spoke wheels. You should really just DDmod one of the car's. You can daily drive and mod a car at the same time. If you want to go turbo just get everything together... Drive the thing to wherever you are going to have it tuned, and install it in the parking lot. (I have seen that done twice now... one person failed miserably.. haha)

What do you want to do with it. do you just want a nice street car that get's the ladies looking, or do you want a beast ass monster that makes people pull over when your comming up behind them? Are you going to track it at all or what man?

Keep the s13... My 2 cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im kind of just assuming... but if your going to school full time and working you have no money... Period. So having 2 car's with no money sucks... especially if they are both stock and you have dreams of coilovers and nice 5 spoke wheels. You should really just DDmod one of the car's. You can daily drive and mod a car at the same time. If you want to go turbo just get everything together... Drive the thing to wherever you are going to have it tuned, and install it in the parking lot. (I have seen that done twice now... one person failed miserably.. haha)

What do you want to do with it. do you just want a nice street car that get's the ladies looking, or do you want a beast ass monster that makes people pull over when your comming up behind them? Are you going to track it at all or what man?

Keep the s13... My 2 cents.

5 points on my license(owning a wrx will do that) so i'll pass on the monster.

The biggest thing thats bothering me here is that i would love to make the s14 my project and dd the s13. I love the way the s14 handles and looks. Where i hit my roadblock is if i sell the s14 then i can fund the s13 into something fast and streetable(like 300ish to the wheels). I can't stand driving an auto. What i really want to do is swap trannies and just keep both, but then i wouldn't have money to do anything with them. I've been going back and forth in my head for like 5 days now and i just can't find a better reason do keep one or the other or even both.:12dunno

oh and for track duty it'll probably only see the drag strip a couple times. I'm a big circuit racer/autocrosser and who knows i might even try my hand in drift.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just swap the trannies and sell the s14 man. sound's like you would be happier that way as opposed (sp?) to keeping both and being able to drive 2 slow nissan's. Haha... Altho that s14 will keep a really good value being a 5 speed, and you honestly might be able to find all the parts to do the 5 speed swap on the s13 for a better price that what you would be taking off the s14 putting an auto in there... See what im saying? It's going to suck for you having two cars that run great both down at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i would if i could...but i really can't...i need a car to get back and forth to school from. I think i'm just going to drive the s13 for awhile and see how much i like the chassis compared to the s13. I know i can make a decent track car out of both but if i sell the s14 then i can fund the s13 pretty well. I'm not sure yet because the s14's handling is pretty amazing...definitely a huge PITA. It's kinda like when i had a honda i knew what i was going to do, i went ls/vtech with some suspension tuning and made an awesome autocross car. The subie was a great track car. I guess i'm jsut trying to make the best of both worlds with the 240...i just have to figure out which one it would be cheapest and easiest to do with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts